Stem Upgrade for AM Heckler...

Privateirony
Privateirony Posts: 44
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
I brought my bike back from scotland this week in a bag, only to find out that i'd been dragging the bike on it's stem for about 300m instead of the wheels of the bag, an now i have a lovely hole in my bike bag and a very scratched stem :evil: , considering the bike is pretty much brand new, i am looking to replace the stem, which is a truative aka 70mm 5deg 31.8, but am undecided as to whether or not to buy the same stem again, or go for the Thomson Elite X4 MTB Stem if anything i want to upgrade, any suggestions are welcome...

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Assuming you were happy with the geometry then obviously get the same size, as for whether to upgrade, well unless yours was very flexy, the only benefit is a weight reduction, how important is that to you?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    A stem is a stem is a stem, for the most part. I have a Thomson X4, Raceface Turbine, Truvativ AKA and a Pro FRS. They all do exactly the same job, the only difference being that the Truvativ and Pro are considerably cheaper, a little bit lighter, and functionally exactly the same as the Thomson and Raceface. The Raceface wins the prize for prettiest though.
  • Assuming you were happy with the geometry then obviously get the same size, as for whether to upgrade, well unless yours was very flexy, the only benefit is a weight reduction, how important is that to you?

Reasonably, as I've just gone and bought a maxxis minion downhill tire which weighs a tonne so would like to try and offset some of the added weight if possible. The most important thing is strength for obvious reasons
  • Superstar Zenith AM?

They do a 65mm. They're +/-5°, Light, strong, cheap, loadsa colours...happy days :D
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Assuming you were happy with the geometry then obviously get the same size, as for whether to upgrade, well unless yours was very flexy, the only benefit is a weight reduction, how important is that to you?

Reasonably, as I've just gone and bought a maxxis minion downhill tire which weighs a tonne so would like to try and offset some of the added weight if possible.
    :lol:
    I nearly just wet myself laughing. Sorry.

Actually, no, I'm not making any apologies. Just... :lol: