Going to purchase a Carrera TDF from Halfords today..

Bustacapp
Bustacapp Posts: 971
edited September 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi all

I'm going to buy a Carrera TDF from Halfords today (or at least order it). The main reason for buying from Halfords is because I have £180 in gift vouchers for the place. I've noticed the bike is advertised for £330 online, but in the shop it says £300. Could this be a misprint and would they have to sell it to me for that? Also - does anyone know if Halfords try to maske you buy any sort of 'service' package? What would be the point of a service package? Surely all they do is adjust the cables etc. It's a long time since I've owned a bike and to think they go in for servicing seems ludicrous to me. Or am I completely missing something?

Comments

• pmannion9
    pmannion9 Posts: 280
    Think Halfords offer an annual service package. Similar to AA in a way that allows you to bring in your bike to be looked at through out the year...
    Personally better offer reading online and learning yourself...
  • Bustacapp
    Bustacapp Posts: 971
    pmannion9 wrote:
    Personally better offer reading online and learning yourself...

This is what I was thinking.
  • i got the £380 virtuoso for qround £300.

ordered the bike online plus a helmet so you get online discount £380 + £30 = £410

as i spent over 400 online i got £40 off = £370

join british cycling using discount voucher so cost about £6 a year, then you get 10 percent off halfords

so £370 - 10% = £333 (minus £30 for the helmet) = £303 is what the bike cost.
  • limoneboy
    limoneboy Posts: 480
    i got the £380 virtuoso for qround £300.

ordered the bike online plus a helmet so you get online discount £380 + £30 = £410

join british cycling using discount voucher so cost about £6 a year, then you get 10 percent off halfords

you should go on countdown !
    last month wilier gt -this month ? bh rc1
  • limoneboy wrote:

yeah but im afraid it is all basic stuff, the young guy in halfords was struggling to work out 10% off with his calculator. I though duuh how did he get a job in here lol. I felt like shouting just divide by 10 you effin nitwit. :lol:
  • limoneboy
    limoneboy Posts: 480
    limoneboy wrote:

yeah but im afraid it is all basic stuff, the young guy in halfords was struggling to work out 10% off with his calculator. I though duuh how did he get a job in here lol. I felt like shouting just divide by 10 you effin nitwit. :lol:

look's like they know as much about basic maths as they do about bikes then :)
    last month wilier gt -this month ? bh rc1
  • limoneboy wrote:

yeah or arithmetic, twas what is was called in my day lol. I can say my bike has been fine so for once i cant slag em off. Im good with mechanics so dont have any issues if anything is not set or adjusted properly. I would not let them near my car though lol :roll:
  • Selling my tdf if you're anywhere near liverpool? :)
  • snowjho
    snowjho Posts: 108
    limoneboy wrote:

yeah or arithmetic, twas what is was called in my day lol. I can say my bike has been fine so for once i cant slag em off. Im good with mechanics so dont have any issues if anything is not set or adjusted properly. I would not let them near my car though lol :roll:

It still is called arithmetic...although the kids are a little confused with concept of mental arithmetic!
  • I have the TDF, so far I'm please I have been to collect my new Shimano shoes and PD-540s this morning (Wiggle £79 for the lot). Its looks complicated to fit, take me time I'll be all reet,
    Don't call me sir I work for a living
  • jimbo0023 wrote:
    Selling my tdf if you're anywhere near liverpool? :)

do you take halfords vouchers :wink:
    Bustacapp wrote:
    Hi all

I'm going to buy a Carrera TDF from Halfords today (or at least order it). The main reason for buying from Halfords is because I have £180 in gift vouchers for the place.
  • so I went into the shop and suddenly the TDF was £330. They guy told me he had an ex-display virtuoso ltd edition (basically same as TDF but diff colours) which was already built. RRP £350 but he'd let me have it for £330. I told him if he fitted a bike computer for free I'd buy it. I was itching to get on the road!!

So here is my first ever road bike:

OOUuz.jpg