Word Ports Classic *spoilers*

FJS
FJS Posts: 4,820
edited September 2012 in Pro race
For echelon aficionados:

Today's the first stage of the new World Ports 'Classic' between Rotterdam and Antwerp.
http://www.letour.fr/us/homepage_courseWPC.html

Lots along the coast, and today has loads of wind, 6 Beaufort

parcours.png

Live here: http://sports-livez.com/channel/ch-1.php

And for Rick: 47 km to go, bit of cobbles, and Boonen attacks solo 8)

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    Was hoping for a link to that!

You may have noticed I'm all over the OPQS twitter feed about that ;).
  • FJS
    Looks like most of the crosswind sections and the damage are already done. Greipel down in a hopeless second or third echelon, Kittel just dropped back out of one of the leading echelons. Hard men race
  • rick_chasey
    FJS wrote:
    Looks like most of the crosswind sections and the damage are already done. Greipel down in a hopeless second or third echelon, Kittel just dropped back out of one of the leading echelons. Hard men race

Yeah.

Jonny made it..!
  • rick_chasey
    Most of OPQS are busy chatting to the car so Morkov and some other OPQS chump fly off the front ;)
  • FJS
    Uh, do we need a separate spoiler thread for this?
  • rick_chasey
    Doubt most people care but will create one anyway.
  • rick_chasey
    Fenn is the guy up ahead with Morkov.
  • FJS
    Apparently average more than 50 km/h :shock:
  • 3 quarter taily then?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    Quite a high quality field considering.
  • FJS
    Fenn is the guy up ahead with Morkov.
    Yep. a first echelon with Boonen, Renshaw and Hoogerland behind, but the peloton with Greipel and Kittel coming back now
  • FJS
    echelon 1 and 2 back together, 50 or so with Greipel, Boonen, Kittel, Renshaw, Boonen, Bos.

Fenn and Morkov still ahead
  • FJS
    Boonen wins it.

Beats Greipel, Kittel, etc in the bunch sprint! Must have been a hard race for that to happen

52.4 km/h 8)

Greipel 2, Kristoff 3
  • rick_chasey
    *woo*

Missed it. :( Work to do.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    This is on Eurosport 2 now.
  • FJS
    afx237vi wrote:
    This is on Eurosport 2 now.
    I wonder whether they had planned to broadcast it live, but were caught out by the high speed and early finish :roll:
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Do you like cycling? YES! Do you like shipping containers? HELL YES! The World Ports Classic is the race for you!
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    afx237vi wrote:
    Do you like cycling? YES! Do you like shipping containers? HELL YES! The World Ports Classic is the race for you!

Well so far its attracted more attention than Stage 13 of the Vuelta
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • The Vuelta has sold out, man. It used to be all about the featureless dual caraigeways in the middle of nowhere.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    Why does every new race call itself a 'Classic'? Surely something has to be established to be a classic??
  • rick_chasey
    Pross wrote:
    Why does every new race call itself a 'Classic'? Surely something has to be established to be a classic??

I guess classic has become to mean a race shorter than a week.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Sounds like a good race to have watched. Boonen winning a sprint in front of Kittel and Greipel is quality stuff.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross wrote:

Surely a stage race can't be a classic? Anyone got any better ideas what to call it?
  • rick_chasey
    Pross wrote:

Surely a stage race can't be a classic? Anyone got any better ideas what to call it?

The two days of the world port classic or something.
  • Pross wrote:

That's not very exciting. How about the Grand Prix Rotterdam Antwerpen Rotterdam Container Port Echelon & Pave Extravaganza!
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Pross wrote:

That's not very exciting. How about the Grand Prix Rotterdam Antwerpen Rotterdam Container Port Echelon & Pave Extravaganza!

does this mean it is classified as a shipper? I'll get my coat.

I switched on after work and caught the last 10k. I didnt know Andy Fenn rode for 'King Boonen' as Carlton called him, good result for that lad. And well done Andy Fenn too (ill get my coat again).

Good sprint from Boonen, was 'Andy' Greipel chasing from one of the earlier echelons? Boonen looked like he was cruising the last couple of Ks while Greipel fought to get into a good position.
  • MrTapir wrote:

Excellent! We have a new King of Comedy! :D
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    MrTapir wrote:

Excellent! We have a new King of Comedy! :D

The coat's back on the hook!
  • Great finish by Boonen.
  • rick_chasey
    In case you lot down know, Boonen won the overall too by coming third, behind Theo Bos who won the 2nd and final stage.

Overall podium: 882255-14822833-640-360.jpg