Mud Guards - Which ones?

Macdory
Macdory Posts: 113
edited August 2012 in Road buying advice
Good morning,

With the weather starting to go downhill (assuming it ever went uphill this year), I'm thinking of fitting some mud guards to my Specialized Secteur. It's the 2012 model - which ones would you recommend?

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    SKS Chromoplastic.
    More problems but still living....
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Zefal swan road worth a look. As above, SKS' are good, though on my bike they needed constant fettling to stop rubbing on the tyres.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Macdory
    Thank you - The Zefal look far easier to fit than the Crud Roadracer MK2's I was looking at.

Would I also be better changing my tyres to 23's or is there enough clearance on the front?
  • jordan_217
    I still haven't fitted the front, 'Croozer' guard as using just the rear one proved adequate. IIRC, when I checked on my CX bike, the clearance was fine and that has 700x30 tyres fitted.

If you are running 25's at the moment then they should be fine. Wiggle sell the set for just under £20 so you could email them and ask to be certain. Should be fine though.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    jordan_217 wrote:
    I still haven't fitted the front, 'Croozer' guard as using just the rear one proved adequate. IIRC, when I checked on my CX bike, the clearance was fine and that has 700x30 tyres fitted.

If you are going to fit one mudguard only, do yourself a favour and fit the front one! You'll thank yourself in the long run.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • jordan_217
    Rolf F wrote:
    jordan_217 wrote:

If you are going to fit one mudguard only, do yourself a favour and fit the front one! You'll thank yourself in the long run.......

Why? I had previously used both front and rear SKS' but didn't seem to get any more/less protection from just using the rear Zefal.

I'm goint to fit the front one regardless, when the weather becomes predominantly wetter. Otherwise it will just sit in the shed.
  • Macdory
    Ordered Zefal Swan/Croozer Road Mudguard Set Black ... a lot cheaper than I was expecting and from the reviews on Wiggle they should do the job.

Thanks all
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    amaferanga wrote:
    SKS Chromoplastic.

+1.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    jordan_217 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    jordan_217 wrote:

Why? I had previously used both front and rear SKS' but didn't seem to get any more/less protection from just using the rear Zefal.

I'm goint to fit the front one regardless, when the weather becomes predominantly wetter. Otherwise it will just sit in the shed.

The rear mudguard stops your back getting a line of muddy water and protects people behind you from your spray. Your front mudguard keeps dirty water off your feet and off the mechs and chain and out of the rear wheel bearings. Cold, wet feet and a much reduced component lifespan count more for me than a stripe of muddy water on my back and a dryer drafter* :lol:

*though I do use both front and rear!
    Faster than a tent.......