£2K'ish for a FS - input appreciated

SixFootTwo
SixFootTwo Posts: 6
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
So I'm 6'1-6'2 and around 17 stone (not that much of a fat knacker honest) and have decided on a Fuel EX8 which will 95% be for Swinley singletrack and Surrey Hills with the odd day somewhere a bit more fun at the weekends.

Are there any other serious contenders at the current price point (1800/1900 squids seems to be the going rate) and also is the Fuel EX9 worth the extra spondoolicks?

I'm also happy to see any alternate words for £££ as squids and spondoolicks was all I could muster at short notice (greenbacks was another favourite but that's showing my age)

Comments

• MTBUK
    MTBUK Posts: 146
    Somebody has just recommended the Canyon range to me..... have a look.

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/mountainbikes ... tml?b=2569
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • OK choice just got difficult again, I'm rather swayed by the xc9
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    SixFootTwo wrote:
    OK choice just got difficult again, I'm rather swayed by the xc9
    well its there end of year sale, if you want a bargain strike now, once there gone there gone, or wait for next years model, renamed the Nerve AL, wont be too long before they are out.. preview here http://www.canyon.com/_en/eurobike2012/nerve.html
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • looks like the black and silver is sold out and I was heading through to the check out. The green/black....well I can understand why that's in stock still so have pinged them an email to see if they have any more in the factory coming through.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    SixFootTwo wrote:
    OK choice just got difficult again, I'm rather swayed by the xc9

Got my xc9 last week. Awesome bike and a great price. Will easily cope with Swinley but you may want more for your 'fun' stuff depending on how downward pointing it is.

What about an AM? The 8X looks tasty, similar price and is in stock. There won't be any more silver xc9s, that's it for this years stock.
  • I've got a dialled Alpine with a 140 on the front so really I can use that for the other 5% of the time, the AM dials down to 120 though and is not much heavier + at my weight a kilo here or there on a bike isn't going to make much difference. Life was simple this morning, now it's all confusing again, need a drink.

EDIT or wait for next years models to come through