spoke tension

TouchingCloth
TouchingCloth Posts: 14
edited August 2012 in Workshop
hi folks,
I have covered 600 miles on my new bike and had a ticking noise I investigated. It was actually a loose pedal causing the noise but during the investigating I checked the spoke tension. My wheels run as true as I can see with the naked eye, but the tension of the individual spokes is very different on plucking and listening to the note. Should I attempt to bring the tension to an even level or leave well alone. I am the worlds worst at "if it isn't broke fix it until it is".
many thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    things like this are or should be covered in the first service.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Tension is best checked with a tension meter. Leave it to the shop to do but depending on the quality of the wheel build will depend on how even the tension is. Uneven tension just means spoke brakage will more likely happen a bit sooner rather later but that depnds on the rim number of spokes e.t.c.

First service should sort this.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • thanks for the quick replies
    the bike had its first service two weeks ago, the wheels are shimano r500's, I would not say the spokes are loose just a disparity between tightest and loosest.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    thanks for the quick replies
    the bike had its first service two weeks ago, the wheels are shimano r500's, I would not say the spokes are loose just a disparity between tightest and loosest.

the left side of the rear wheels is way less tense than the right side... this is normal to keep the hub off-centre.
    It is quite difficult to judge with fingers anyway.
    On the other hands normal LBS don't know what a tension meter is
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    thanks for the quick replies

the left side of the rear wheels is way less tense than the right side... this is normal to keep the hub off-centre.
    It is quite difficult to judge with fingers anyway.
    On the other hands normal LBS don't know what a tension meter is

That's an LBS to avoid.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.