Importance of joining a Shimano chain on the front of a link

bus_ter
bus_ter Posts: 337
edited August 2012 in Workshop
So I changed my chain today (Shimano CN-7901). The instructions say to connect the connecting pin in the outer link on the front side of direction of travel of the chain. Though I thought I had broken the chain in the correct place when I assembled the chain on the bike I realised the join was on the back of the link (relative to the chain direction) DOH!

As the chain is directional, and I can't fix this without making the chain too short, I either buy a new chain or just run with it.

So does it really matter that I linked the chain at the back of a link instead of the front? Will my chain now be weak and break down the line? or is it nothing to worry about?

Comments

• bus_ter
    bus_ter Posts: 337
    OK I'm an idiot. I've just realised why the links didn't connect in the right direction, even though I was careful when cutting the chain. Though the shimano writing has to face outwards (because it's a directional chain), there are still two ways the chain can go! It's too late now I've connected them!

Anyway original question still stands...
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Pffff, who knows, ride it and see if it snaps. I doubt it makes that much difference though.