Clothing For My Top Half

mystic.bertie
mystic.bertie Posts: 136
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
I have had my road bike for 4 weeks and after starting with my bike and helmet im slowly getting all the gear i need. I have the shorts, socks, shoes, cleats and pedals sorted out. For my top half i have been using a couple of short sleeved running tops, a fleece and a light running jacket. I got arm warmers the other day from ligl but i was too late to get a jacket or jersey.

so i want to find out what i need for my top half, what are base layers for and compression base layers? Basically what do i need for my top half to cover the coming colder weather and to cover me just now whilst we stil get an odd warm day. At the start of the week i got drenched but as i use my bike i had no option but to go out and get soaked with just a light running jacket. Is it possible to be rainproof and cool on a really bad day? I do 25 miles a day commuting to work. :D

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Is it possible to be rainproof and cool on a really bad day?

Not really no, unless you spend an absolute fortune, but you can be almost dry and not too hot and sweaty.

normal cycle jersey short sleeved used with(out) arm warmers is fine for cuurent weather. when it gets colder /wetter you need either a so call waterproof, but the do tend to boil you in the bag a bit, or just a normal winter jacket.

I have a foska winter jacket and its almost waterproof - my arms get bit wet if it really pelting down, plus its wind proof and warm. I use that throughout the winter. add the odd cheap base layer if you feel the cold. I also have a lightwieght jacket that turns a small shower and it windproof and is ideal if its too warm for full winter foska!

If you have showers at work, does it really matter too much if you arrive a bit wet?
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • t4tomo wrote:
    Is it possible to be rainproof and cool on a really bad day?

Not really no, unless you spend an absolute fortune, but you can be almost dry and not too hot and sweaty.

normal cycle jersey short sleeved used with(out) arm warmers is fine for cuurent weather. when it gets colder /wetter you need either a so call waterproof, but the do tend to boil you in the bag a bit, or just a normal winter jacket.

I have a foska winter jacket and its almost waterproof - my arms get bit wet if it really pelting down, plus its wind proof and warm. I use that throughout the winter. add the odd cheap base layer if you feel the cold. I also have a lightwieght jacket that turns a small shower and it windproof and is ideal if its too warm for full winter foska!

If you have showers at work, does it really matter too much if you arrive a bit wet?

thanks for the reply

Do the normal winter jackets tend to be cheaper than the cycling specific ones? Should i look for one thats waterproof and very light ??

are base layers just for a bit of warmth underneath your cycling jersey? Should these be short sleeved too?

i can stick with my light running jacket for light showers but ill look for a winter jacket for the rainy days. I dont have showers at work, i only leave enough time to get changed and to my workplace, i towel dry my hair and face to get the sweat off. :lol:
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    I dont have showers at work, i only leave enough time to get changed and to my workplace, i towel dry my hair and face to get the sweat off. :lol:

Bet your colleagues love you :wink: do you find you have more working space now?
  • Bet your colleagues love you :wink: do you find you have more working space now?

well i dont smell by any means and nobody is that close to me plus its an engineering environment so plenty of other smells lingering about :lol::lol::lol:

i shave my underarms so no stinking hair to carry the smell all day lol :lol:
  • Don't overthink it. Last winter I was riding around in my summer jersey with a few vests and t-shirts underneath, and my old school PE shorts. When it got really cold I bought a pair of tubular bandages from the supermarket and used them as makeshift armwarmers (which also worked surprisingly well). Yes, I'm poor. :lol:

But I think a perfectly serviceable way of doing it is to create your own modular system. I have a short sleeve jersey and a long sleeve jersey. I wear both if it's cold and one if it isn't. No base layers, mid-layers, gilet, jacket, tights, overshoes... I'm not opposed to these things at all, but I'm perfectly happy without them. A merino jersey to wear as a mid-layer might be nice, I suppose. Everyone feels the cold differently, but I've never massively cared about wearing shorts when it's cold, and have no plans to buy any tights.
  • Lol thats what i call doing it on a budget but as long as it works for you. I dont know what is considered good budget jerseys but wiggle to the dbh ones at about £25, i think thats steep as a newcomer to road cycling, i got 2 running shorts today from sport direct, blue karimor ones with a zipped neck, they were £12 each, i also got 1 campri base t shirt to try out too. Apart from looks im not sure what else a jersey twice the price has to offer over cheaper jerseys.