A decent bike for a new convert

Miss_t
Miss_t Posts: 8
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
I have just got into bikes an am looking for my first decent bike. I like http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/mo ... _sl_disc/# It has everything I want ie 27 gears, lock out forks, the tyres are good for on and off road and is light. A friend tells me the components are basic for the price but I guess it's a 2013 model. Wondered if anyone had any better ideas?? Doesn't have to be women's specific. Most of my riding will be on road but living so close to The New Forest I'm hoping to get in there sometimes. My budget is around £500. The amount of bikes out there is amazing and the technical stuff frankly mind boggling! Any help appreciated! :D

Comments

• Canyon if you're comfortable buying direct over the internet. My first hardtail from a local bike shop 9 years ago had Rockshox forks, a Truvativ/Deore chainset/transmission, a decent set of Quad hydraulic brakes, Mavic rims on Deore hubs, and branded finishing kit and cost less than £500. Doesn't seem like you get that for your money these days unless you buy off the internet.
  • welsh_14
    welsh_14 Posts: 259
    I may as well jump in before anyone else and suggest having a look at the Decathlon range if you have a shop near by! Seem to be the best bang for buck and what everyone recommends looking at in your price bracket.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not too bad for the money, but similar parts can be found on £300 bikes, for £500 the main choices are the Rockrider from Decathlon or the Voodoo Hoodoo from halfords.

You don't need a 'womens bike' the changes on most of them are minimal and will only cost a few pounds at most if you need them (shorter stem, smaller grips, saddle) - you may not.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Miss_t
    Thanks a lot everybody. That's really helpful. Like the Decathlon b'twin I think. Now to figure our what size I need?!
  • The Rookie
    Sit on one and find out, your weight should be forward (so you have weight for grip on the front wheel) but you shouldn't feel uncomfortably stretched.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Miss_t
    Thanks The Beginner but what if you are buying online?
  • The Rookie
    Then you make a slightly bigger gamble.....find bikes you are comfy on and then use the manufacturers website to compare geometry to the one your thinking of ordering, 'virtual top tube' length is the most important (horizontal distance from headtube to seat tube/post) but few manufacturers quote it so you're left trying to compare actual top tube length across different sizes where it's angle to the horizontal will be slightly different, but still usually close enough to figure out.
  • Thanks The beginner, I will get out there this weekend and test a few out