Newbie...!

smoo1604
smoo1604 Posts: 8
edited August 2012 in MTB beginners
I want to get back into cycling, mainly to cycle to and from stables a couple of miles away, it's up and down bumpy kinda roads so suspension a must. Only have a small budget of £250 though. What brands or bikes would anyone recommend? My current bike is about 16 yr old with no suspension and dodgy gears and brakes!

Not planning on doing any MTB trail rides so just something relatively basic and comfortable I suppose!

Thanks,
Shona

Comments

• YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    smoo1604 wrote:
    I want to get back into cycling, mainly to cycle to and from stables a couple of miles away, it's up and down bumpy kinda roads so suspension a must.
    Sounds like you really don't need suspension - that's not exactly what it's intended for
    And besides, £250 won't get you any full suspension bike worth using.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    At very least avoid rear suspension, it will be useless, and the front barely adequate. Take a look at the Decathlon Rockrider 5.2, nice spec, fork actually works.
  • Should probably say that's it's a women's/ladies/adult bike I need, 5'7" 30yr old!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not really an issue, a bike is a bike, the RR as mentioned by SS is nice (only available from Decathlon if you have one close) otherwise the Carrera Vengeance from Halfords is in your price range.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • andhr
    andhr Posts: 88
    If you really don't like bumpy roads, and want a comfortable ride, it might be worth a decent saddle or a seat post with built in shock - you'll get more from that than cheap rear suspension.
  • Like the RR 5.2, our nearest decathalon store is in edinburgh though and when I went through to check stock on the decathalon website they don't have any in Edinburgh!
  • What about a hybrid bike? I really don't know anything about biking apart from how to stay upright on one! A lot of new terms and technology since I was a teen!