De Rosa R838

daveyruthers
daveyruthers Posts: 129
edited August 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi just wanting some sizing help on the above bike. I have noticed that the frame size on this model only goes to 54cm. I am 6ft 2in tall does that mean I won't be able to get one to fit?
Bianchi Via Nirone
Focus Izalco Pro 2.0

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Each manufacturer and sometimes each bike from those manufacturers sizes differently. The R838 in 54 has a 58.5cm toptube and the 51 has a 56.5cm toptube so one of those should fit you. Is there anywhere you can demo one to be sure as there are plenty of other factors that come into play?
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Unfortunately there isn't a dealer near to me in Northumberland so would have to mail order one. Thanks for the advice though
    Bianchi Via Nirone
    Focus Izalco Pro 2.0
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I'd add that unless you're hung up on wanting something De Rosa branded then the R838 is from a widely-used generic mould (Ribble Stealth uses or at least used to use the same mould) so you end up paying a big premium for the De Rosa name (unless it's a bargain end of season offer you're looking at ofc...).
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    I wouldn't say it's widely used but the frame is available as the Ribble R872 (was called "Stealth" but they can't use that name now due to copyright). The latest version has internal cabling. The old external-cabled frame used to be available from Chinese importers but I can't really find it other than for mass purchases (20+) on alibaba and it's unclear whether they are 'real' ones or not (the De Rosa and Ribble ones are supposedly made by Xpace). If you know where I can source one, let me know :)
  • pak-man
    pak-man Posts: 76
    I bought a 54 frame about 3 months ago. I'm 6'1" tall and the LBS felt I could have opted for the 51cm frame with no problem. I opted for the larger because I have long arms and legs(!) and had the bike fitted for me. Size wise it's perfect.

By the way, don't really want to open up the whole Ribble/De Rosa debate but I looked at this a lot when I bought and the view from both manufacturers (as opposed to posters on here) was that the frame shape was near identical but they were not the same (principle difference being the De Rosa is a much better grade of carbon).

And I have to say, the De Rosa is a gorgeous bike, makes me smile every time I look at it and its ability on the road far exceeds mine!