Fixie / Fixed chain tensioner

lackofgrip
lackofgrip Posts: 851
edited August 2012 in Workshop
I have converted my old Raleigh Medale and the chain keeps jumping off, does anyone know where I could get a chain tensioner?

Comments

• Rodders30
    Rodders30 Posts: 314
    Is the chain line not straight?
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    DON'T use a chain tensioner if running a fixed gear i.e. no freewheel! Otherwise, it'll all end in a world of pain.

Sounds as though your chainline may be out - read all about it here:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/chainline.html
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Also if you're reusing components from a multi-gear set-up then the cogs have ramps to help the chain come off and the chain is more flexible and trundles off.

My SS set-up (converted from a 2 x 6 Raleigh Europa) has been completely reliable since I switched the rear cog to a single gear specific cog - it's got really long teeth and no ramps. Mongrel that it is, my bike's still got a 7 speed chain and a nine speed chainring.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    single speed chainrings help if the chain line is off. As a serial MTB SS though chains comming off with ramped chainrings has never been an issue but my chain line is perfect.

To adjust your chainline you may need to change your BB axle length.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Could you post a photo of your setup? Including your rear dropouts? I just converted an old Raleigh frame but had to modify the drive aide drop out in order to get the correct chain tension.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Russyh wrote:
    Could you post a photo of your setup?

Not sure who this is directed at but always glad to post photos of '80s bling

Europa.JPG
  • russyh
    it was aimed at the Op, but if we are posting pics of our 80's Fixies...

Not sure you can see from that pic (had to resize) but i had to modify the drive side drop out to match the non drive (?) this meant i could get a good chain tension.
  • lackofgrip
    I've oredered some chain tuggers that should sort it, how tight does it need to be?
  • russyh
    Fairly tight, i pull the left hand stud all fairly high in the rear drop out, tighten up the bolt and the square up the wheel with the Drive sideto add tension. In order for me to b e able to get decent tension, i had to modify the drive side drop out. I did this my matching the internal shape of the non drive side.
  • lackofgrip
    7790567574_0e19301760_b.jpg
    002 by lackofgrip, on Flickr