Cable rub, any ways to stop it?

Randomer
Randomer Posts: 22
edited August 2012 in MTB beginners
Are there any simple ways to stop cable rub?

I have had my Crush '12 for coming up to a month now, yet having only really been on 2 proper rides (bail on my first has prevented more) I am noticing cable rub at the front of the frame :(

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    http://www.biketart.com/863/products/Ja ... PriceComp1 or patches that go on the frame where the cables are, or electrical tape, heli tape....
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Heli tape- loads on Ebay, but double check cable routing - sometimes it's really bad.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Randomer
    Randomer Posts: 22
    Cheers guys, i'll look at getting some Heli tape.

I'll take a look at the routing too, but I don't think it's that bad really, but being quite new to this I could be completely wrong :lol:
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I like the zip tie method.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    That's a method?
  • oodboo
    It's a method of stopping cable rub.

Strava
  • Chunkers1980
    How does it do that?

If they are not in boss', then directly cable tieing them somewhere to the frame actually makes it worse as it is fixed and the back and forth now has the tie holding it tightly to the frame.
  • Adotparker
    Adotparker Posts: 128
    For once i agree with Team Halfords!!!. Heli-tape!!
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • Chunkers1980
    Quite glad I set you as a foe. From now on I'm not going to bother opening your posts. WIN.
  • Adotparker
    Boohooooo :'(
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • oodboo
    How does it do that?

If they are not in boss', then directly cable tieing them somewhere to the frame actually makes it worse as it is fixed and the back and forth now has the tie holding it tightly to the frame.

Big zip tie round the head tube with smaller zip ties round the big one holding the cables in place. I'll try and get a photo uploaded as that might make more sense.

Strava
  • oodboo
    excuse the dirt:
    p4pb8594796.jpg
    p4pb8594819.jpg
    Big black zip tip round the head tube with smaller zip ties holding the cables in place. No more cable rub.

Strava
  • Chunkers1980
    I see!

Better solution. But now you will have a little zip tie rub!
  • oodboo
    Doesn't move, doesn't rub :)

Strava
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    oodboo wrote:
    p4pb8594819.jpg
    Big black zip tip round the head tube with smaller zip ties holding the cables in place. No more cable rub.
    how would you know under all that muck ? :lol: seriously though, looking at the bottom cable they appears to be a mud smear below it, cable must be able to move to do that, if it moves it can rub, worth having a look just in case :wink:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Adotparker
    chez_m356 wrote:
    oodboo wrote:
    p4pb8594819.jpg
    how would you know under all that muck ? :lol: seriously though, looking at the bottom cable they appears to be a mud smear below it, cable must be able to move to do that, if it moves it can rub, worth having a look just in case :wink:

Blimey.......... if your scared of a few cable marks... ruining your paint job......... your obviously not throwing your bike round hard enough!!! farty frame fanciers ............ just get out on it......
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • Adotparker
    oodboo wrote:
    excuse the dirt:
    p4pb8594796.jpg
    p4pb8594819.jpg

like it!!!...... as my mobi-washer takes the heli-tape off after a while!!! expensive stuff that heli-tape!!
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • chez_m356
    Adotparker wrote:
    Blimey.......... if your scared of a few cable marks... ruining your paint job......... your obviously not throwing your bike round hard enough!!! farty frame fanciers ............ just get out on it......
    if you knew anything about cable rub, you would know just what damage it can actually cause to a frame, a lot more than just paint work, speaking of which, hows the norco, turned yellow yet ? :D
  • cooldad
    chez_m356 wrote:
    Adotparker wrote:
    if you knew anything about anything, you would know just what damage it can actually cause to a frame, a lot more than just paint work, speaking of which, hows the norco, turned yellow yet ? :D
    On my ignore list but if you are going to force me - FTFY.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • chez_m356
    cooldad wrote:
    chez_m356 wrote:
    Adotparker wrote:
    if you knew anything about anything, you would know just what damage it can actually cause to a frame, a lot more than just paint work, speaking of which, hows the norco, turned yellow yet ? :D
    i find him quite amusing, in a "fully mong" kind of way, do you think they could be related ? :wink::lol:
  • cooldad
    Nah, fully mong has moments of sanity.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • chez_m356
    cooldad wrote:
    Nah, fully mong has moments of sanity.
    very few, but you're right :D
  • Adotparker
    cooldad wrote:
    chez_m356 wrote:
    Adotparker wrote:

***Sighs in a deeply depressive way**
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014