First Ride

bigharj
bigharj Posts: 78
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Went up and down my road getting used to the new bike and yes it's coming back quite quickly.

Some Q's

My LBS set my seat at a very high position, I was told that my feet should hardly touch ground. It's very uncomfortable, is this normal?

The tyres were inflated to about 105psi (I'll have to check myself) the ride is very hard and you feel everything. As I am 20st will that have some bearing as to the optimum tyre pressure. I would prefer a softer ride right now however I have read on this forum that low pressures are prone to punctures. is this corrct?

Thanks

Comments

• baldwin471
    baldwin471 Posts: 366
    Your saddle should be set so that when your foot is on the pedal at the bottom of the stroke, your knee should be just slightly passed 180 degrees. So a slight bend. If you can sit on the pedal and still touch the floor, it's probably too low. Were is the discomfort coming from? Knees? Hips? At your weight i'd set the PSI to around 90. You don't really want to go lower than that or you'll be prone to pinch flats. Hope that's slightly helpful.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Put your heel on the pedal at its lowest point and you should have a straight leg. That's the start point. If it's uncomfortable you're allowed to adjust the saddle height - it's your bike. Touching the floor is a misleading guide; you spend most of the time on the bike pedalling and v little of it sat at lights with a foot on the flor. If you can't touch the floor, either lean over a bit more or slide off the saddle and sit casually on the cross bar like the rest of us.

HTH. :)
  • bigharj
    That's exactly what the LBS advised me, I suppose it's just the unfamiliar position which is completely different to how I used to ride when I was a kid. I'm going to lower the seat height until I my confidence returns and then raise the height and start practising with my clip ons.

Deffo with the tyre pressures, may even buy some 28's.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    At your weight keep the tyre pressure high, if you don't have one, invest in a good track pump with a gauge.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Graydawg
    Graydawg Posts: 673
    what bike did you buy?
    It's been a while...
  • bigharj
    I bought a Cube Peloton 2012 Triple and I bought just about everything under the sun.

Bike
    Helmet
    Fingerless Gloves
    Shorts
    Jersey
    Shoes
    Glasses
    Saddle Bag
    Mini Pump
    Track Pump
    Bottle Holder
    Bottle
    Front & Rear LED's
    Repair Kit
    Extra Tubes
    Garmin 500
    Wash kit
    Tyre Levers

I will still need to buy SPD pedals, rain jacket and what ever else you may care of suggesting.

It' was easier to spend a big wod of cash in one go than it is spending it piece meal.
  • baldwin471
    baldwin471 Posts: 366
    For pedals i'd definitely recommend Speedplay Zero's. The Chrome Moly's are on Ribble for around £80 now. Expensive but are very good and light. I just got this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/santini-primo-l ... ve-jersey/ and it is fantastic. Order a size above what you'd usually have though, i'm normally M but Large is still very figure hugging on me. Very warm and comfy, but when it's warmer you can just unzip a little and cool down.
  • bigharj
    Afraid clothing is another story. I am 6ft 7in tall and taller in the body. Tried lots of stores and sent back quite a few on-line orders as nothing fits. Unlike the Pro's I am not tall and lean, rather tall and fat!

Luckily I have been in touch with Lusso, who will make any garment in their range made to measure for 10% extra.
  • If you can barely put your feet on the ground, it could be about right, but this method (which was all I knew as a child) presupposes suitable bottom bracket height; hence it's much more appropriate to appoximate based on feet on pedals, using the method given above.

But it's entirely normal to feel a little uncomfortable with the seat at the 'proper' height. It will take you a while to stretch out and become accustomed to it, and you may feel a little uncomfortable during that time, but that doesn't mean that you won't benefit after that. Most people ('cyclists' and 'people who sometimes ride bikes' alike) aren't immediately comfortable with not being able to put their foot on the floor and having to mount the bike in the 'proper' way. (standing astride the bike and using the lead pedal to both set off and seat yourself)

As ever, Sheldon Brown is my source. His info on tyre pressure is also very informative.

http://sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html#height

Having a bit of a hard ride is part of road cycling I'm afraid; if to greater and lesser degrees. Putting on bigger tyres (if your bike allows it) should be much more comfortable than using low pressure in smaller tyres; not to mention not over-susceptible to punctures as the latter will be.

To a certain extent you can choose handlebars and stems that are more springy as well, and you can get really plush mitts and bar tape, but honestly I would advise you to get used to it, as you probably will. :)