• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    White and blue Elite.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    bare carbon

or bare ti

with red or green alloy bolts (add a splash of colour)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Black probably. It will go with the forks and if, if you went white, it would look a bit crap if the whites didn't match perfectly (if you have two different whites, the less white white will always look grubby).

Besides, black tends to wear better as well.

Or bare Ti as estampida suggests. That would suit the frame.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • h34e0f
    h34e0f Posts: 370
    edited August 2012
    estampida wrote:
    bare carbon

or bare ti

with red or green alloy bolts (add a splash of colour)

I really don't see the point in using Carbon; that's like getting a carbon dashboard in a car. Plastic is the same weight, and there is no need for expensive materials where strength is not required. The term 'trail wanker' comes to mind tbh.

Also the day I see a cage actually made out of carbon rather than plastic made to look like carbon, I may be tempted.
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    Black looks like this:

6957126176_b4d2c8460f.jpg

Rob
  • estampida
    well ti then

maybe 1 day they will make a plastic one that looks like ti, but isn't
  • h34e0f
    estampida wrote:
    well ti then

Is there really a benefit spending that much over plastic?
  • estampida
    it will be the last bottle cage you will ever buy

buy plastic buy twice
  • h34e0f
    estampida wrote:

buy plastic buy twice

Fair enough.
  • rolf_f
    estampida wrote:

buy plastic buy twice

Well, probably not really - I suspect a decent plastic or composite cage will last indefinitely. IMO, the reason to buy a Ti cage is that if you want a traditional wire type cage, the alloy ones are a bit crap really. The softness of the metal seems to abrade the bottles and the paint smears off as well. So I reckon a Ti cage might actually keep the bottle smarter too being both harder and unpainted.
  • brabus
    brabus Posts: 138
    white!
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    h34e0f wrote:
    I really don't see the point in using Carbon; that's like getting a carbon dashboard in a car. Plastic is the same weight, and there is no need for expensive materials where strength is not required. The term 'trail rubber' comes to mind tbh.
    Oh dear, not quite got the hang of this roadie lark, have you ?

Also the day I see a cage actually made out of carbon rather than plastic made to look like carbon, I may be tempted.
    What ????
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Buy whatever is cheapest and buy a new door & frame ... ffs, It's like worrying about what colour toilet papaer to buy whilst forgetting to flush ...
  • estampida
    Buy whatever is cheapest and buy a new door & frame ... ffs, It's like worrying about what colour toilet papaer to buy whilst forgetting to flush ...

whilst forgetting to wipe.........
  • rolf_f
    MattC59 wrote:
    h34e0f wrote:
    What ????

Yeah - that's a bit bonkers. There are some pretend carbon cages out there but the vast majority I've seen are genuine carbon. Probably costs more to make a plastic cage with fake carbon weave on it than the real thing.

My extravagent Look cages are definitely carbon fibre and the cheap crap ones from China that I'm replacing with composite Elites are definitely carbon fibre too.

Why should the OP get a new door and frame? You should probably read the thread properly :wink:

BTW, do you go out of the house wearing unmatching socks? I mean, worrying about wearing matching socks is like worrying about what colour toilet paper to buy whilst forgetting to flush......
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Just get a pair of PX carbon cages for £30 as you'll probably pay £15 for a pair of plastic ones:
    http://planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/BOPXPCP ... loss_black

But obviously if you prefer plastic then that's up to you. You've probably wasted £30 in time trying to decide the colour :lol:
    Simon
  • h34e0f
    Just get a pair of PX carbon cages for £30 as you'll probably pay £15 for a pair of plastic ones:

But obviously if you prefer plastic then that's up to you. You've probably wasted £30 in time trying to decide the colour :lol:

£30 for bottle cages? :shock: I was looking at abour £2 each...
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    h34e0f wrote:

You won't like these then at £110ea :lol:
    http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/campagnolo-record-carbon-item134978.html

I have these though, somewhat more reasonably and great quality. (they do white ones as well, by the way)
    http://www.comtat.co.uk/products/297.htm
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    h34e0f wrote:

I paid £7.50 each for crappy ones from Halfords :oops: Yes, yes you may laugh.... but it was a case of needing them there and then (and it was hard parting with the £15!)

You seem to be putting in a lot of effort to build up a lovely looking 'colour matched' Dolan, and then are going to make it look cheap by skipping on the trimmings?

Would you have a handbuilt solid wood kitchen with granite worktops, and finish it with plastic taps?
    Exactly... now remove that mothballed wallet from your pocket and buy yourself a nice pair of cages :lol:
    Simon
  • h34e0f
    h34e0f wrote:

I paid £7.50 each for crappy ones from Halfords :oops: Yes, yes you may laugh.... but it was a case of needing them there and then (and it was hard parting with the £15!)

You seem to be putting in a lot of effort to build up a lovely looking 'colour matched' Dolan, and then are going to make it look cheap by skipping on the trimmings?

Would you have a handbuilt solid wood kitchen with granite worktops, and finish it with plastic taps?
    Exactly... now remove that mothballed wallet from your pocket and buy yourself a nice pair of cages :lol:

Hardly, the thing cost me a few hundred quid. The photo I posted was off google just to show the frame colour.