Shimano 105 standard to compact.

garrynolan
garrynolan Posts: 560
edited August 2012 in Workshop
Hi all, I run Shimano 105 standard and want change to a compact (50/34) set-up. Can someone give me advice on how to do this? Please bear in mind that it needs to be: a/ cheap, and b/ easy. Thanks very much. G.
Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
exercise.png

Comments

• gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    Buy and fit a compact 105, or another compatible, chainset. That ought to do the trick.
  • Beeker
    Beeker Posts: 4
    I recently did the same switch. Front derailleur needed slight adjustment and chain needed to be shortened....hills are a little easier now!
  • Rodders30
    Rodders30 Posts: 314
    Gozzy wrote:
    Buy and fit a compact 105, or another compatible, chainset. That ought to do the trick.

Excellent, I couldnt help but laugh :mrgreen:
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Yeah it depends what chainset you've got, but it should just be a straight swap. I'd guess it's a hollowtech one, in which case all you'll need is the star-shaped tool to get the right crank arm cap off and a 5mm allen key to undo the pinch bolts and away you go! Not even sure you'll need to adjust the front derailleur, is the chainring spacing different between a std and a compact? Even if you do, it's only a 10 minute job all in.

I'm thinking about going the other way, so I'd be happy to swap my Tiagra compact for your 105 standard! :wink:
  • garrynolan
    garrynolan Posts: 560
    Thanks for all the replies - some useful info in there. G.
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • haf1zur
    haf1zur Posts: 124
    How can I tell if mine is Compact or Standard? Count the tooths?
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    You could count the teeth - it often says on them too.

If changing you'll probably have to lower the front mech too which will change the cable tension and mean that you'll have to adjust it to get it to shift properly.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • haf1zur
    haf1zur Posts: 124
    so guessing 53-39 is standard?
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    That's right.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • houndlegs
    houndlegs Posts: 267
    Go to the shimano tech docs website and follow the fitting advice on there,it's really straightforward.
    And I should know cos I ain't long done it myself :D