Re-index after wheel change

Djd3737
Djd3737 Posts: 82
edited August 2012 in Workshop
Hi,

Is it normal to have to re-index and re-set the limit screws on the rear derailleur after changing to a new wheel?

Last night swapped out the knackered stock Alex Rims (no idea what the hub is, which was no longer freewheeling) on my 2012 Spez Allez Compact to some R501s, after fitting the new wheels the index'ing was out and the rear derailleur was clipping the spoke when on the innermost sprocket.

I corrected the limit screws and indexing, following the online park guide, it now shifts ok on the stand, have not ridden it yet though.

I re-used the same cassette (8 speed shimano) as only a couple of months old, didn't really expect to have to adjust so much, just want to make sure this is expected and I have not done something wrong.

Cheers

Steve

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Yes it's normal.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Is it?
    I am always swapping wheels about - training rides/race-turbo setup... even from time to time swapping cassettes.. as running 9 and 10 speed on different bikes.
    never have to faff about doing re indexing, it just carries on working... ok may have to give barrel adjuster a 1/2 turn CW or ACW but 99% of time, swap and go
    Must be lucky , I guess.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    It's not unusual for different hubs to give slightly different cassette positions.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    is not 1/2 a turn on the barrell adjuster an adjusment?
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Djd3737
    Thanks all, will commute in on it tomorrow, see how it goes .
  • lef
    lef Posts: 728
    the only wheel I have had to re-index for is a xero (which was cheap tat). Shimano, mavic, easton, planet X, IRD have always been interchangeable without adjustment for me. IME it is the norm not to have to adjust.
  • Djd3737
    It rode in OK this morning, so job's a good 'un
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    i had the same issue when swapping from standard raleigh wheels to r501s where the rear mech would rub the spoke slightly when on largest cog.

only a small difference and about 1/4-1/2 a turn of the limit screw sorted it, indexing was still spot on though
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Yes it is normal. Even changing a worn out cassette for an identical new one can sometimes mean having to tweak the indexing slightly.