Dot 5.1 = Dot 5.1

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,348
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
hi all

Need some new Brake fluid for m Formula Oro's. There is a car parts store that has some for a tenner. Are they all the same?

The main thing putting me off getting it is that it's more fluid than I think i could ever use!!

DaveK
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    same stuff. you could also use any DOT4 or DOT3.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes DOT 5.1 is DOT 5.1, use away (but NOT 5.0!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    They arent the same, as dot 5.1 is a minimum standard & type, not an exact standard. That said, for MTB use Ive always found halfords bog standard 5.1 to be just fine.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    I think it's like different brands of petrol - essentially the same, meet the same standards and should all mix with each other without any issue.

I've used the Lucas fluid in my brakes, under a tenner for 500ml at the local motor factors.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    benpinnick wrote:
    That said, for MTB use Ive always found halfords bog standard 5.1 to be just fine.
    +1

Much cheaper than Avid's own and just as good at eating through your worktop. The cap stays on better though so doesn't leak and disolve the box and contents I keep it in (unlike Avid's which did).

p.s. pop into the car section and you can get a much bigger bottle of the same stuff at better value for money. However I've heard the stuff doesn't like sitting around for a while once opened and better off with the smaller bottle. Not sure if that's true.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    DK is right about smaller bottles. 5.1 degrades over time, specifically it absorbs water. So you are best off getting the smaller bottles as thats still more than you'll ever need, and saves you taking the rest down the tip at a later date. This http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_255218 would be ideal.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • deadkenny wrote:
    However I've heard the stuff doesn't like sitting around for a while once opened and better off with the smaller bottle. Not sure if that's true.

It does degrade over time at it will absorb water. The amount if water it absorbs though is incredibly tiny and won't affect your braking on your bike.
    I've just finished a bottle of fluid that's probably been open three or four years when I bled my Hope brakes after cutting the hose on them. Absolutely no problems with the braking despite the old fluid.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    You had a bottle left open for 3 or four years?
    I suspect you may be one of those people who expects less from their brakes than I do.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    You had a bottle left open for 3 or four years?
    I suspect you may be one of those people who expects less from their brakes than I do.
    open or opened?

yes if left open it will degreade but if closed and storred correctly it can be fine for a long time.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown