What is it?

SenseiSpud
SenseiSpud Posts: 61
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
What is the button looking thing halfway down the left hand seatstay on some bikes? Mine has it and I've seen it on some others, I'm guessing it has a purpose?

Comments

• What is the button looking thing halfway down the left hand seatstay on some bikes? Mine has it and I've seen it on some others, I'm guessing it has a purpose?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,209
    I've never seen anything like that description - do you have a photo?
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Only on one seatstay? And what sort of bike?

My hybrid has little rubber plugs in the holes that lower models use for rim brakes; my roadie has little holes for mounting mudguards.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • Road bike and yes, just the one side.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    some sort of suspension insert is my guess

2916145264_a349284bf1.jpg
  • It hooks the chain out of the way when you remove your rear wheel, pretty old fashioned but you see it occasionally these days
  • Akirasho
    Akirasho Posts: 1,892
    ??? pic?

If it had been on the right... and a bit further down, I might have guessed a chain hanger (found on some older alloy frames... used to hold the chain out of the way during real wheel removal/installation)...
  • Akirasho
    Akirasho Posts: 1,892
    SNORT... I guess I missed the multiples...
  • It hooks the chain out of the way when you remove your rear wheel, pretty old fashioned but you see it occasionally these days
    Makes sense. Thanks. :D
  • Akirasho wrote:
    ??? pic?

If it had been on the right... and a bit further down, I might have guessed a chain hanger (found on some older alloy frames... used to hold the chain out of the way during real wheel removal/installation)...
    Thanks, just been said in my duplicate post. It's a 13yr old ali frame so yes. 8)