does the size of your bike make much of a difference?

Brisk
Brisk Posts: 12
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
hi i'm in 2 minds about my first bike. Got a deposit down for a specialized hardrock sport (asked about it on here) and due to try it out tomorrow.
However since deciding to get myself a bike i have always loved the gt avalanche and have seen one online for £459 (think it was pauls cycles) it's the 1.0 2012 model

The problem i have is that being 6'3 i was told in the bike shop that i would need a 20 inch plus frame so they have ordered the 21 inch hardrock and the only size they have left in the avalanche is an 18 inch.

Can 3 inches really make that much of a difference to how it will feel (i would never ask my lass that question though haha) i can't go and try an 18inch avalanche because nowhere i have been round here sell them.

So what do you reckon? Go with the simple/sensible option and stick with the hardrock or just hope for the best with the size and feel of the avalanche and sacrifice a bit of size for better spec.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    3" will make a big difference BUT the rest of the dimensions between the GT and Spesh may not follow the same change in seat tube length....go to the manufacturers websites and look at things like top tube length to compare the sizes properly.

Some people prefer larger bikes, I prefer them on the small size, so at 5'10" I ride a 16", what suites you?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    At 6'3", an 18inch bike will be to small for you.

What do I reckon? Buy a bike that fits.
  • Adotparker
    Adotparker Posts: 128
    don't do it.......... wait for The Spesh....... it's the right size, and a better bike!
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • xcmad
    xcmad Posts: 110
    Smaller bike, especially MTB, feels like it gives you more agility and easier to control.

But in this case 18" does sound too small for you.

I'm 5:10 and ride a 17.5" Trek, almost maxed out on a long seatpost. It does feel a tad small but works in the rough stuff.
  • Asif Tufal
    Asif Tufal Posts: 109
    Yes, it does! My main bike is an 18" Cube LTD Pro that feels just right for me at 5' 8". I then made the mistake of buying a cheaper 16" bike as a back-up and it feels so small that it's uncomfortable and I now have to sell it. Buy right ... buy once.
  • The Rookie
    If you think logically, the nominal size is irrelevant, with a long enough seatpost most height people could adjust it to fit most height bikes, what actually matters more is top tube length as you can't change that so easily or very much (saddle for and back by 10mm or so).

The fact i ride a 16" at 5'10" and Asif finds a 16" too small (and rides an 18") at 5'8" says a lot.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Of course it does. That's why they come in different sizes

Also be aware that some hardtails (possibly not the ones you have mentioned) will come with different forks based on the size of the frame so it's not always a case of you getting like for like

At 0.5" under 6ft I am normally right on the line between Medium and Large frames but I will always go for the smaller option. A mountain bike of any kind should have a reasonable amount of 'throw-about-ability' imo
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • dry664
    dry664 Posts: 155
    ......what actually matters more is top tube length as you can't change that so easily or very much (saddle for and back by 10mm or so).
    This
    ........but I will always go for the smaller option. A mountain bike of any kind should have a reasonable amount of 'throw-about-ability' imo
    ...and this

I'm 6'4" and had a 23" frame which was too big, switched to a 21" and its perfect. My gf has an 18" and its way too small.

I think from the feedback you have already its obvious that the GT isnt a good idea.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and one thing to remember is bike makers dont measure the same way so looking at numbers is fairly pointless.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    If you think logically, the nominal size is irrelevant, with a long enough seatpost most height people could adjust it to fit most height bikes, what actually matters more is top tube length as you can't change that so easily or very much (saddle for and back by 10mm or so).

The fact i ride a 16" at 5'10" and Asif finds a 16" too small (and rides an 18") at 5'8" says a lot.

Exactly! I'm also 5' 8" and ride a 16" Cube LTD and a 16.5" Canyon.

Your height tells little - what about leg/torso/arm length, you could have long legs and short arms and feel really stretched. Also every bike is different, some are longer etc. and whilst seat posts move up or down there's less you can do (easily) to make the bike shorter or longer.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    GrenW wrote:
    Your height tells little - what about leg/torso/arm length, you could have long legs and short arms and feel really stretched. Also every bike is different, some are longer etc. and whilst seat posts move up or down there's less you can do (easily) to make the bike shorter or longer.
    this exactly, why are people fixated with height.
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Had a similar deliberation myself recently. Bought a Rockrider 5.2 and couldn't decide between medium (18") or large (19") frame.

I'm 5'9"/174.5cm but short in the leg (30") and long in the torso/arms. Manufacturer recommended medium for height below 175cm, large for above. Being smack in the middle of the range didn't help. Plumped for the large in the end for the extra reach.
  • The Rookie
    I'm 5'10" (well 5'9.5") for my height I have very short legs (sitting down I'm taller than a mate who's 6'1") so you may think that despite short legs I'd want a bigger bike to get the length for my torso, but I also have short arms (right on the minimum length for aircrew as it happens), as such I find I'm comfortable on most makers frames in the 16-18" area, my Carrera at 16" has the same top tube length as a 17" 'hopper and I'm very happy with the fit.

But what single length (on me) would I use ever for sizing.......simply I can't really (Impressed though as I just tried the Canyon sizer and it said 16.5"!) I just have to 'sit and see'.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Adotparker wrote:
    don't do it.......... wait for The Spesh....... it's the right size, and a better bike!

In what way is the Spesh better? The GT Avalanche 1.0 has better parts throughout! Though I agree with sizing lol.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    supersonic wrote:
    Adotparker wrote:

In what way is the Spesh better? The GT Avalanche 1.0 has better parts throughout! Though I agree with sizing lol.

Yep - it is advice like that that has made him a foe. Now I no longer have to view his drivel. Being a mod though, SS, you have to, to moderate almost everything he types.
  • Brisk
    Brisk Posts: 12
    cheers for the advice everyone,will stick with the spesh. Knew it would have been daft to get the gt as i wouldn't of had a clue how to set it up anyway. Just think i needed telling off people with more experience.

Maybe in a few years when i know what i'm doing i can get the 2015 avalanche in the sales and be able to set it up myself. Anyway cheers again will let you know how the spesh is when i get it tomorrow