thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
edited September 2012 in Pro race
Adidas out and Rapha in for 2013

http://www.rapha.cc/teamsky

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    Balls.

That's put two expensive jerseys out of commission.
  • Rapha hating Sky fanboys forced to buy Rapha to continue to be Sky fanboys.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Keeping it British has to be a good thing surely. It will be expensive being a Sky fanboy though. ouch!!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    Rapha hating Sky fanboys forced to buy Rapha to continue to be Sky fanboys.

More like sky hating rapha fanboys forced to burn £1000s worth of kit.
  • I love my Rapha kit and I support Sky so I'm not bothered. I might even get myself my first ever non retro team jersey next year...maybe.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    No doubt this will send some into a flat spin...those people probably need to get a grip.

I know Rapha is equally loved and hated but from a business point of view this is very big for them. To start a niche clothing company and take it to this kind of level in eight years is very impressive. They've had some luck in that cycling has grown as a sport in that time, but they've also been very successful at designing nice stuff, building the brand and pitching the products to the right part of the market.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • wasabi_m
    wasabi_m Posts: 164
    Rapha hating Sky fanboys forced to buy Rapha to continue to be Sky fanboys.

More like sky hating rapha fanboys forced to burn £1000s worth of kit.

Hear, hear!

Just lit the stove...
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Wiggins will be happy, I recall him saying last year I think it was something along the lines of what a great ride he'd had with his local club or similar, and to top it off there wasn't a Rapha jersey in sight.
  • Sonny73 wrote:
    Wiggins will be happy, I recall him saying last year I think it was something along the lines of what a great ride he'd had with his local club or similar, and to top it off there wasn't a Rapha jersey in sight.

Ha! He did! Wiggo to be the most unwilling poster boy ever...
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I like Rapha. I like Team Sky. Hmmm.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I suspect he'll be less picky once he's being paid to wear it
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    edited August 2012
    Graeme_S wrote:
    I suspect he'll be less picky once he's being paid to wear it
    Yeh, also knowing Wiggo's p*ss taking nature I'm sure he was just on a wind up back then about a mate on the ride or similar and he won't really mind at all. One thing's for sure love or hate Rapha the jerseys will look cool you'd think.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Lol, another reason not to cheer for this team.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    No doubt this will send some into a flat spin...those people probably need to get a grip.

I know Rapha is equally loved and hated but from a business point of view this is very big for them. To start a niche clothing company and take it to this kind of level in eight years is very impressive. They've had some luck in that cycling has grown as a sport in that time, but they've also been very successful at designing nice stuff, building the brand and pitching the products to the right part of the market.

8 years is almost a decade. Not that impressive. Also they have no competition.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    another reason not to cheer for this team.

ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • frenchfighter
    Sonny73 wrote:

Ha, first time I heard that quote.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    LMFAO! :mrgreen::D:) :shock: :):D:mrgreen:

I logged on to post exactly this and someone beat me to it! Excellent! The Rapha haters will be even more vitriolic now. Huzzah!

P.S. I have lots of Rapha. Yes, I am that rich...no, I'm not a fat dentist - now run along street urchins! 8)
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I'm going to miss the adidas stripes to be honest... it will be interesting to see which direction they go in with the kit.

Probably something quite minimal like the rapha-condor-sharp stuff?
  • TMR
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I like Rapha. I like Team Sky. Hmmm.

I don't see you on a Pina though to be fair. A rider of your class would never make the silly mistake of wearing a Team kit and not riding the Team bike! :wink:
  • TMR

Err...yes they do. I have 5 of their jerseys and they are every bit as good as Rapha, and they look amazing too. A new company, but hopefully they'll grow and do great things.
  • 8 years is almost a decade. Not that impressive. Also they have no competition.

Err...yes they do. I have 5 of their jerseys and they are every bit as good as Rapha, and they look amazing too. A new company, but hopefully they'll grow and do great things.

They're no Etxeondo.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • No doubt this will send some into a flat spin...those people probably need to get a grip.

Of which for 4 of those years we've been in a recession, and they are promoting a high end/expensive product, though in their favour to a growing market. Good luck to them, nice to see a British firm doing well
  • TMR
    They're no Etxeondo.

Etxeondo aren't the same class of company as either Rapha or Torm IMHO. More mainstream. And they aren't British are they? I've seen Marcel Wust wearing their stuff FFS :(
  • They're no Etxeondo.

Etxeondo aren't the same class of company as either Rapha or Torm IMHO. More mainstream. I've seen Marcel Wust wearing their stuff FFS :(

You've gone badly wrong there.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • TMR

You've gone badly wrong there.

Just because Sean Kelly & Indurain wore their stuff doesn't mean they are a niche cycling couture outfitter to gentlemen! :wink:

• You've gone badly wrong there.

Just because Sean Kelly & Indurain wore their stuff doesn't mean they are a niche cycling couture outfitter to gentlemen! :wink:

I think it depends what you're after. If you're after top notch gear that looks excellent and lasts, then Etxe is the best out there in my opinion.

If you're after all of the above but feel the need to buy into some imagined glory days past of cycling where Giants of the Road were all thoughtful, philosophical types and pay more then i agree, Rapha is peerless at indulging your insecurity that you might not be a "real" cyclist. :wink:

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter

Is one company competition? Or three? Not really.

That company you linked to looks like they need a new design team.

Also, many people have money to buy this stuff but choose not to. I have yet to be overtaken by a rider wearing Rapha - gone past a ton though like they were standing still.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Do you want a photo of Contador with Exte? Serious.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    2 pages already. Good for Rapha in pulling the deal off. I'm sure a lot of firms like Santini/Giordana/Garneau would have loved to get it. Only Assos seems aloof to it but then they don't really go down that route except for Swiss riders
    M.Rushton
  • TMR
    If you're after all of the above but feel the need to buy into some imagined glory days past of cycling where Giants of the Road were all thoughtful, philosophical types and pay more then i agree, Rapha is peerless at indulging your insecurity that you might not be a "real" cyclist. :wink:

The men waved their hats, the ladies their umbrellas. One felt they would have liked to touch the steel muscles of the most courageous champions since antiquity. Who will carry off the first prize, entering the pantheon where only supermen may go?

I could cry thinking about how much I love this sport. Yes, I am that emotional! 8)