Replacing Chainset on Bianchi

bianchibob
bianchibob Posts: 306
edited August 2012 in Workshop
Hi, my road bike is a Bianchi 928 carbon frame and it is currently fitted with an FSA Gossamer Compact 10 speed chain set with MegaExo bearings.
I am thinking of upgrading it to an FSA K Force Light Double, this comes with ceramic bearings again MegaExo. Am I correct to think that this will be a direct replacement for the old set up.
Being fairly new to road cycling I am a bit confused regarding bottom brackets, threads and things.
On Chain reaction for the K Force they are talking about a Q factor of 147mm and BCD of 130mm not sure what that is, can anyone help ?
Thanks in anticipation.

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Bianchis use a standard English thread / BSA bottom bracket - if you are changing both cranks and BB then that's all you need to worry about. FWIW the Gossamer BB is slighly wider than the SLK and the two are not interchangeable
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • bianchibob
    Hi Monty Dog, firstly thanks for the reply, I now understand that any bearings I fit to my Bianchi have to be English thread/BSA. However I am still unsure about the cranks, are you saying that FSA Gossamer and SLK are different lengths, hence one is wider than the other. However if I were to purchase the BB bearings and Cranks together as long as they are English thread/BSA they will fit ?
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    If you buy SLK BB and SLK cranks it will all be fine. If tou buy gosssemer BB ans SLK cranks then you have wasted some cash.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    FSA SLK light and FSA SLK having different BBs too
  • bianchibob
    Thanks for that Cycleclinic, mind you it won't be the first time or the last that I have wasted cash on cycling and bikes !!!