Shimano 10 speed chain with KMC quick link

coblck
coblck Posts: 217
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi stupid question but here it goes as title will this work ok, my new 10 speed shimano chain with 10 speed KMC quick link lost shimano pin but have new quick link lying about, does anyone use this combo thanks in advance.
Giant tcr pro ultegra
Cannondale CAADX GRX 812
Voodoo Marasa 2011

Comments

• turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    yep it will be just fine ....and miles better then that pin :D
  • coblck
    coblck Posts: 217
    Thought that mate happy days
    Giant tcr pro ultegra
    Cannondale CAADX GRX 812
    Voodoo Marasa 2011
  • It's exactly what u run without any issue
  • yeah it will be fine. i have found the kmc 10 speed split links to be pretty stiff when fitting or undoing, usually have to get a pair of pliers on them. not sure how the sram ones compare, they might be a bit more user friendly.
  • The 10
    Speed SRAM won't be as they are powerlock...ie the don't split again once joined
  • Papa Ado
    Papa Ado Posts: 76
    The 10
    Speed SRAM won't be as they are powerlock...ie the don't split again once joined

KMC - reusable
    Sram - non-reusable (locks)
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    ooi, why do you think SRAM made them one use? Can't be for money as any one with a brain won't buy them when there are ones that are reusable out there.
  • turnerjohn
    Papa Ado wrote:
    The 10

KMC - reusable
    Sram - non-reusable (locks)

SRAM....I beg to differ http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=871
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I beg to differ!

Did you read it?

We are referring to 10 SPEED. SRAM ARE ONE USE!
  • turnerjohn
    sorry thought they were :oops:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    turnerjohn wrote:
    SRAM Powerlink Connector Features:
    PowerLink means no weak links.
    NB: One link comprises of the two halves and is sufficient to connect one chain.
    IMPORTANT: 10SP Links are POWERLOCK, they fit together but then are not designed to come apart again.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • turnerjohn
    nicklouse wrote:
    turnerjohn wrote:
    SRAM Powerlink Connector Features:
    PowerLink means no weak links.
    NB: One link comprises of the two halves and is sufficient to connect one chain.
    IMPORTANT: 10SP Links are POWERLOCK, they fit together but then are not designed to come apart again.

yeh yeh I missed that bit :roll: how comes they don't then ? anyone tried removing them ?
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Put a new 10spd sram chain on the bike last week to replace the kmc. Have used the kmc link loads of times and its dead easy to unlock / lock.
    When I fitted the new chain, to look at, the powerlink looks exactly like a "normal" sram quicklink, however, it took a lot of force to join it - had to hold the back wheel and turn the pedals to tension the chain (quite a bit) to get it to snap into place. So don't know what is different in the design, as they look the same. Must be slightly tighter tolerances perhaps to not allow it to be opened?
  • KMC makes Reusable AND non-reusable Missing links for 10 speed. The non-reusable is suggested for extreme/pro use as it locks very tightly together. Of course the reusable Missing Link also locks together, but the extreme locking design was deemed unnecessary for the majority of riders. Notice the Patents on the 10 speed reusable missing links and 11 speed links :)

From our European website: http://www.kmcchain.eu/?en/products/con ... ing_links/