1 Song, 1 Film, 1 Book ??

mfin
mfin Posts: 6,729
edited August 2012 in The cake stop
Okay, we've had a few threads like this but people always are making top x's and so on...

So, if you were gonna pick the first good song, film and book that you love, first thing that comes into your head so no need to think too much, what would they be and why???

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Golden Brown by The Stranglers
    - never cared for the band much, but a classic song.

In the Name of the Father
    - brilliantly acted, Daniel Day Lewis, Pete Postlethwaite...

Crossfire "The plot that killed Kennedy" by Jim Maars
    - couldnt pick a novel, just love the sheer amount of information in this.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Meat Loaf - Bat Out of Hell - if you only have one song then get a full 10 minute masterpiece rather than a quick 3 minute one you'll get bored.

Long Stop Grand Prix - classic animation done prior to any Aardman stuff.

Really Naughty dot-to-dot - I failed my English Literature O level and if being honest, haven't improved much since then.
  • New Order 'Age of Consent' - the best track from their best album by my fave band ever.

Blade Runner - Ridley makes the sci-fi game changer 'Alien' then out trumps himself with this stunning movie. It's also got one of the best soundtracks of all time. I watch it once a year.

'Our Man In Havana' by Graham Greene - I love Greene's work and this is IMO his best.
  • Lovecats - The Cure - Great record, really different sound, always been a favourite.

The Usual Suspects - Genuinely did not see the ending coming the first time I saw it.

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee - An absolutely fantastic book, really well written and it's officially "literature" so I get to pretend I'm clever as well.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Song - 1979 - Smashing Pumpkins - Capturing the thoughtlessness of yoof (in a good way)
    Film - Alien - I'll go with the game changer. If you're lucky you haven't seen it!
    Book - USA - John-Dos-Passos - Great characters, along the lines of "The Great Gatsby", which start out disconnected but end up being completely entangled.
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    Spanish Caravan - The Doors: One of many brilliant Doors songs, loved the mix of acoustic and fuzzy electric, the beauty and rawness.

Star Wars - A New Hope (1977): What kid in the late 70's didn't want to be Luke Skywalker racing his X-34 Landspeeder or just to have your first pint at the "Cantina" in the brilliant bar scene.

Adolf Hitler, My Part In His Downfall - Spike Milligan: It was all because of this comic genius that I "discovered" the dark art of lighting farts and horrified my mother when I asked her what he meant by "jig-a-jig" in Mussolini, His Part In My Downfall.
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Song: Come See, Come Saw by Rocket from the Crypt
    Film: From Russia With Love
    Book: Dracula
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    Song: Mersey Paradise by The Stone Roses
    Film: Heat
    Book: The Wanderer by Knut Hamsun
  • Song: Impossible by the Charlatans
    Film: Despicable Me - funniest film of all time.
    Book: To Kill a Mockingbird - still the only book I've read more than once
  • johnfinch wrote:
    Song: Come See, Come Saw by Rocket from the Crypt
    Film: From Russia With Love
    Book: Dracula

Rocket are my favourite band ever. I promised myself an RFTC Tattoo if I ever won the Hillclimb Nationals. That was in 1997.

Anyhoo...

Song: Mogwai: Mogwai Fear Satan
    Film: Grosse Point Blank
    Book: Hellboy- The Wild Hunt (yeah it's a comic! What of it?!)
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • 964rh
    964rh Posts: 72
    Song - Faithless - Insomnia, soundtrack to my misguided (but fun) 20's

Film - Lost In Translation, didn't want to watch it was sort of made to by the mrs and loved it. Loved the cinematography, music, acting (and it has Scarlett Johansson in it!)

Book - Tuesday Dog, 1st read when I was about 7 yrs old. Not a masterpiece just a semi made up story about a stray dog.