Maratona dles Dolomites 2013 - how do I get in?

mtbkim
mtbkim Posts: 18
Hi

I've really got into road biking over the last few years, and have enjoyed doing some sportives over here. For next year I'd love the challenge of a big Alpine event, mainly looking at the Maratona dles Dolomites as it sounds a great event & I love the area.
From what I've read these events are massively over subscibed. I would like to enter myself and travel/stay in my campervan and so don't really want to go with a 'tour' (& they seem really expensive!). When do entries open? Is it just a case of entering through the website? Any other advice welcome! And how does it compare to the Marmotte (how hard!) as that's the other one I like the look of?!

Ta!

Comments

• bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    2 options:

1. enter through their website which is a lottery. Pay 2 euro and hope you get an entry (I did this in 2012) but chances are about 1 in 5 or something...

2. buy a place through a package operator. They get tickets that they only sell along with hotel packages etc. Usually lots of choice if you dont hang about.

Its a tough event for sure, with 9 climbs, and the Giau (9.9% for 10km) and can be made harder by hot temps as it was this year. Although its tough I dont think its as tough as the Marmotte as its considerably shorter, although I havent personally done that yet.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • Krys
    Krys Posts: 51
    We entered through Cycling Weekly, who enter around 300 riders each year. Check out their website for details? Ian Parr is the man to contact. Awesome event - did it this year - see my blog: http://www.thecyclingmayor.com/maratona-dles-dolomites.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    +1 for the CW option. Ian's been a diamond over the years organising this.

Also don't forget to start looking at accomodation. It gets booked up fairly quickly
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Yes, the CW option is a ticket only, so you can use your 'van etc - so no need to be concerned about accomodation.
    Though its a fair bit shorter, its also very up/down so little chance of recovery, you also get an amazing goody bag with the Maratona :) 3 routes to choose from, hard, very hard and $%&!$£! Hard !

the campsite nr San cassiano, is about 5k from the start - all down hill - and SanC is a beautiful place, with grt cafes and restaurants, also we were recommended a campsite just up the valley from Corvara nr the finish, from a couple who had a camper van.
  • mtbkim
    mtbkim Posts: 18
    Thanks for all the replies! I'd better get in contact with CW by the sounds of things!
    To Mccaria, thanks for the personal e-mail reply!
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    It's well worth doing if you get the chance.

But the way Krys - I think it was me who took the photo of you and the guys from your club at the finish. Will you pass on my regards to Steve and Chris next time you are out with them. Read your blog and good to see Chris is getting use out of his Stelvio top.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    good luck with the CW option - massively over subscribed. Not sure they are taking entries yet either...
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • If your on a budget then CW as others have said is your best bet. The lottery is just that, though I understand the organisers are keen on increasing the number of over seas riders so you may have more of a chance applying from the UK.

Rode the Maratona this year and to be honest apart from the Giau its not that hard, 7 climbs in total but most are at a pretty relaxed graident which lets you get into a nice rythm. I woke up on the day feeling like death warmed up and still managed to get round and make the time cut offs with plenty of time to spare. I Would recommend it to anyone as it was up there as one of my best ever days on the bike despite feeling rough and I will probably do it again next year.
  • 3Pears
    3Pears Posts: 174
    I along with quite a few other club members have done two options 1) Cycling Weekly and 2) Holimites.com

Both were brilliant, Ian Parr does a fantasic job of organising the CW party. Once it appears in CW it is normally over-subscribed such is the popularity :shock:

www.holimites.com are also a very realistic option. Certainly not a rip off like the Tour Operators at the Etape. For 6 nights B&B it was well under £400. That included event entry, all goodies that go with that (Gilet, Jersey etc) and also holimites bonus gifts, front light and event shorts (beimme) We, as a group, used 3 separate hotels and all 3 were excellent, the locals really embrace the whole event :D

Good luck
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    A quick question for those that have gone via Cycling Weekly before. I notice the price quoted by Ian is around double the entry price via the standard lottery system. Is that premium purely because the place is guaranteed or do you get something else included for that?
  • Ian handles your entry ie all the paper work and money transfers, gives good advice on accomodation, route etc, CW Photo shoot and i believe (but im not 100% sure on this, if its stil the case, the cw entrants start a pen higher than they would in an individual entry, i know i have in the past)
    But i guess the main advantage is the guaranteed entry and how much is that worth?
  • If anyone would like to combine the Maratona with a Holiday we still have some spaces open. We are and Italian Cycling Tour operator and have been attending the Maratona for years. Check out the tour details on our website:
    http://puntotours.com/tours/detail/96
    Fell free to drop me an email or give me a call.

Geoff Butterfield
    UK Manager - Punto Tours
    M: +447782336898
    E: geoff@puntotours.com
    W: http://www.puntotours.com
  • In ciclored.com also organize a trip to the Dolomites Maratone http://www.ciclored.com/forum/topics/te ... atona-2013
  • Anyone looking for an entry to the Maratona dles Dolomites 2013.

We have a few guaranteed entries available, please get in touch.

Best wishes,
    Luis

http://www.highcadencecyclingtours.com
    tours@highcadencecycling.com