Difference between hubs

kev_gray
kev_gray Posts: 44
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Guys,

My freehub has started to make more of a grinding noise these days so looking at replacing it. Can anyone advise the difference between these two hubs? I'm pretty sure it says M475 on the current hub so just wanting to replace the freehub section, can't read the writing on it very well due to text being rubbed off it.

FH-M475
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=86990
M475
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=38215

Can I just buy the one for £10 is the real question!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    kev_gray wrote:
    Hi Guys,

My freehub has started to make more of a grinding noise these days so looking at replacing it. Can anyone advise the difference between these two hubs? I'm pretty sure it says M475 on the current hub so just wanting to replace the freehub section, can't read the writing on it very well due to text being rubbed off it.

FH-M475
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=86990
    M475
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=38215

Can I just buy the one for £10 is the real question!
    same hub.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • tmsjns
    tmsjns Posts: 54
    Realistically how hard is it to replace a hub? I mean Im a beginner and mine makes really loud clicky noise so I'd like to replace it to make it quieter but if the jobs too big I can live with the noise!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You need to be able to build a wheel to replace a hub.
    If you mean a freehub it depends what it is.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Replacing the hub means completely rebuilding the wheel, if its just the freehub you need to remove the axle from the hub and then remove the freehub with a large allen key.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kev_gray
    kev_gray Posts: 44
    Thanks for the info! My plan is only replace the freehub, ive had it off already with a lot of leveragr and a big allen key! Doesit matter that the cheap on is for 36 spokes and my wheel has 32?
    Also, would I be better going for the m525 hub? I see that it has rubber seals but is it compatible?
  • nicklouse
    kev_gray wrote:
    Thanks for the info! My plan is only replace the freehub, ive had it off already with a lot of leveragr and a big allen key! Doesit matter that the cheap on is for 36 spokes and my wheel has 32?
    Also, would I be better going for the m525 hub? I see that it has rubber seals but is it compatible?
    holes has nothing to do with the build of the hub.

most shimano bodies are interchangeable.

if you think that getting the body off the wheel was hard have fun with the hub.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just get the £10 hub and use it as spares, it will all work fine.

M525 is a better hub, but many parts are the same and any improvement in fitting bits to a M475 outer core will negate most the benfits, just get the 475.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    kev_gray wrote:
    Just buy a Shimano freehub. Like Nick pointed out, removing the freehub from a hub (without it being built onto a wheel) is going to be nigh-on impossible.
  • nicklouse
    kev_gray wrote:
    Just buy a Shimano freehub. Like Nick pointed out, removing the freehub from a hub (without it being built onto a wheel) is going to be nigh-on impossible.
    Well a nice big work bench with a nice big vice bolted to it helps as does bolting the bench to the floor.

But if you have that and a suitable bit and holder for a breaker bar then it is the cheapest way to get all the bit to service a hub. Or rescue a hub.