Beginner mountain bike?

lovingbiking
lovingbiking Posts: 5
edited August 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi, i have about £350 to spend on a MTB could you recommend some good bikes for the price please?
Prompt remply appreciated,
Many Thanks,
James

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Look at Halfords and Decathlon, and browse numerous similar threads.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ive found the Carrera Vengeance on halfords looks ok? what are your views
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is ok: the Vulcan is worth the extra.
  • cheers, is it just a better all roud bike?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The vulcan has better brakes (hydraulic) and a better fork (damped so it doesn't pogo around), the rest is all pretty much the same, at this price point the fork is the single most critical item.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • MattyyP
    MattyyP Posts: 142
    What are you looking at doing with it? I'm a very big fan of Dacthlon bikes due to the amazing service I get at my local workshop!

I would definitely look at Decathlon, i've got a Rockrider 6.3 which I picked up for £350 as a bit of a laugh, and to be honest, pretty good for a cheap dual sus bike! The brakes have a good feel to them being Shimano Tektros, and the drivetrain is well, it does the job! But if you aren't going to be doing anything too rough, i'd spend your money on a hardtail! That's where it's at! :)
    Specialized Secteur Sport 2011
    B'Twin Rockrider 8 XC
    B'Twin Rockrider 9.1
  • well i want to so some off roading at cannock chase if youve heard of there but i also want to hit a bit of speed on the roads
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Rockrider 8.1 is a good bike, only from decathlon which you'll find not far from cannock up at Jct9 Wednesbury near Ikea.

We've probably all heard of Cannock.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.