Alloy frame welding

smegg40
smegg40 Posts: 75
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Has any one had to have a frame repaired ?and if they have was it a good repair ?.I have a 2001 Orange Sub 5 and i have found a crack approx 25mm long going around the pivot point weld,i thought it was just the paint at first but when i scratched it off found the alloy has cracked at the weld then started going down the down tube to where the monocoque weld is.Is it scrap or worth repairing ?

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    A guy I ride with sometimes had an older Merida FS frame welded when a weld on the chainstay broke. It held for a couple of years and has now been re-welded. He uses it for gentler XC, but it's not something you'd want to put all your faith in.
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    It will need heat treating again once welded. I'd try Orange, a phone call can't hurt.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • Its not worth it i wasted a load of money getting an old marin frame repaired i got it welded professionally and then heat treated to restore the HAZ to t-6 and 4 months later it cracked in the same place and on top of that i had bought paint an decals if i just bought a new frame and saved a load of hassle and waiting
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    adesaxo31 wrote:
    Its not worth it i wasted a load of money getting an old marin frame repaired i got it welded professionally and then heat treated to restore the HAZ to t-6 and 4 months later it cracked in the same place and on top of that i had bought paint an decals if i just bought a new frame and saved a load of hassle and waiting
    What was the Marin frame? all the ones I've known have had a lifetime warranty.
  • It was a marin alpine trail not sure on the yearbut it was the first to have the tara back end i bought it off ebay for 150 in a sorry state an saw the hairline cracks when i stripped the paint do you think i could of got it replaced mcgee all the best ade
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Probably yes. I've cracked a few frames, and always had them repaired, no questions asked. Marin are good like that.
  • What about now with being welded
    I'm properly gutted now because it looks at me every time i go in the shed
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope once you've messed with it you're screwed.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    adesaxo31 wrote:
    What about now with being welded
    I'm properly gutted now because it looks at me every time i go in the shed
    What CD says - as lenient as they are, I doubt they'll entertain you now that you've messed with it.
  • Oh well lesson learned but still can't help feeling a bit gutted though