MTB Newbie - Help and Advice wanted

jaylaw
jaylaw Posts: 7
edited August 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi Everyone

I am an MTB Newbie, decided I need something fulfil my adrenalin needs over the winter!

First things first I need a bike and this is where I have become stuck. I have been browsing all of the second hand bike forums and sites and have been to my local bike shop where I had a quick go on a Giant XTC 1.

My ultimate question is what would people recommend for a newbie who is looking for an all round MTB, budget of £500 to £1200 for a bike.

So far I have been recommended the On One Carbon 456 by a friend who has one and have tried the Giant XTC 1 (both hardtails). It has also been recommended that I do not want to look at/get a full sus bike yet - why is this?

Thanks for all your help and advice in advance. J

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Quite a wide budget.

Some people seem to think you have to ride a hardtail first to get skills and then progress to a full sus. Kind of like paying your dues or something.
    IMO this is garbage, get what you want. I prefer full sus.

Obviously on a limited budget you can get a better hardtail than a full sus, but at the upper end of your budget you can get some really nice bikes, especially on sale.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Thats a wide budget, for a hardtail that goes from 'second bike' at about £500 (where the entry bikes are circa £350) upto the top of what most people would pay for an HT, in FS terms that top amount is about half way up the range where you won't get an FS worth buying at £500.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.