Whats the going rate on a bike this this?

a2hgo
a2hgo Posts: 56
edited September 2012 in MTB beginners
I've been after a second hand boardman for a while but nothing coming up as I need a 16inch.

Seen this on eBay, not knowing a great deal other than the Boardman is a good bet, is this any good?

What should I expect to pay?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/kona-mens-mou ... 4abb27b768

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    It's a bit of a mish-mash of components, which are all alright, but the listed spec. doesn't match the pictures. I'd be wary.
  • a2hgo
    Probably a good job I checked on here then.

Also seen a Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2011 local but its 17.5in and not sure if it will be a bit big for me (5ft 4), its started at £450 but will no doubt go for more than my price range.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Specialized-R ... 43b2e1bd36
  • Adotparker
    Adotparker Posts: 128
    Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole!! Drake Suspension?? top of the range bike?? hope brakes?? yet cleary pictures SLX ?? i'd rather be a sheep and buy a halfords bike!
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • Adotparker
    If he gets more than £500 for that......... i'll let him tap my gf for free!!
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • a2hgo
    :lol:

OK so we'll give that one a miss. Only boardman I've seen in the right size for the past couple of weeks is this one:

It just seems a bit much for a 3 year old model.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/board ... /109472104
  • Adotparker
    are you sure your looking for a 16 inch?. my gf is 5ft4 and she rides my 19 inch orange crush............ when shes good!!
    16 seems a little small unless your planning on dirtjumping or throwing it around
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • a2hgo
    Don't quote me on this but I tried an 18inch in Halfords(Carrera Vulcan) and the seat was about 2 inches up and I could *just* touch the floor on one side, if I dropped the seat an inch it would have been fine but was told the seat should be up higher else all my weight will be over the back wheel rather than being evenly distributed.

Could be bulls**t but what do I know.

PS. mainly trail riding at Canock Chase, with the odd jump I guess.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    a2hgo wrote:
    Don't quote me on this but I tried an 18inch in Halfords(Carrera Vulcan) and the seat was about 2 inches up and I could *just* touch the floor on one side, if I dropped the seat an inch it would have been fine but was told the seat should be up higher else all my weight will be over the back wheel rather than being evenly distributed.

there is a lot of Bull in there.

raising the seat will move your weight to the rear.

and touching the floor has nothing to do with anything.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Mostly, yes
  • FWIW I'm 5'8 and ride a medium Yeti - I would suggest a 16 inch is the right way to go, but it all depends on the bike. You need to sit on it and if possible have a ride. 19 inch would be WAY too big for me...

Good luck with the search!
    Ragley mmmBop
    Yeti 575
  • Adotparker
    a2hgo wrote:

Forget Halfords.... go to a local bike store.. such as Evans they'll size you up properly.... you have to remember things such as bottom bracket height..... top tube length....... handlebar width. Halfords are F***ers for providing poor fitting bikes!
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • Adotparker
    FWIW I'm 5'8 and ride a medium Yeti - I would suggest a 16 inch is the right way to go, but it all depends on the bike. You need to sit on it and if possible have a ride. 19 inch would be WAY too big for me...

Good luck with the search!

Yeti bikes always seem a little bigger...... its the Geometry of the frame i had to down size when i had mine :lol:
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Adotparker wrote:
    so does that mean you normally charge then ? :lol:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Adotparker wrote:
    are you sure your looking for a 16 inch?. my gf is 5ft4 and she rides my 19 inch orange crush............ when shes good!!
    16 seems a little small unless your planning on dirtjumping or throwing it around

She must have very long legs! I'm 6'1" & ride a 18" On-One with similar geometry.
    Adotparker wrote:
    so does that mean you normally charge then ?
    Adotparker wrote:

Surely if he gets more than £500 then he can afford to pay?
  • Adotparker
    Adotparker wrote:
    She must have very long legs! I'm 6'1" & ride a 18" On-One with similar geometry.
    Adotparker wrote:
    so does that mean you normally charge then ?
    Adotparker wrote:

Surely if he gets more than £500 then he can afford to pay?

Dunno...... average but the Crush top frame is quite short I guess.......
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    What's a top frame?
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Adotparker wrote:
    Forget Halfords.... go to a local bike store.. such as Evans they'll size you up properly.... you have to remember things such as bottom bracket height..... top tube length....... handlebar width. Halfords are F***ers for providing poor fitting bikes!

Your 5'4" gf rides a 19" bike I wouldnt get too carried away with accusing people of providing badly fitted bikes.

Some Halfords stores give dodgy advice same as soem Evans stores - Evans would be worse n my general opinion.

I'm 5'6" and ride a small Heckler, a small Big Hit and a 16" Cove hardtail. I tried my mates 17.5 rockhopper once and it was way too big so a 19" anythign would be big for me.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Adotparker wrote:

Your 5'4" gf rides a 19" bike I wouldnt get too carried away with accusing people of providing badly fitted bikes.

Some Halfords stores give dodgy advice same as soem Evans stores - Evans would be worse n my general opinion.

I'm 5'6" and ride a small Heckler, a small Big Hit and a 16" Cove hardtail. I tried my mates 17.5 rockhopper once and it was way too big so a 19" anythign would be big for me.

I'm not sure what this guy is on but seems to generally just give people useless and/or misguided info. My missuz is 5.4ish" and my 19" Rockhopper is way too big for her (obviously!), so's my Medium Session.

Btw - Why is Evans so much better than Halfords at sizing customers up for bikes?

"you have to remember things such as bottom bracket height..... top tube length....... handlebar width"....
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Shotsaway
    Shotsaway Posts: 175
    Your GF rides a 19" Orange when see is 5'4"?

I'm 5'8" and my 1st proper bike was an Orange Evo2, which was 19". I sold it in the end because it was far too big for me. I currently ride a 16" Soul which is perfect and a 16.5 (Virtual size 17.5") EX8. My wife is 5'6" and rides a 15" Rockhopper.

I'm not saying that your GF's bike is too big but it certainly sounds like it is!

I was in my LBS once when a guy in his late teens was looking at a bike. He was shorter than me and he was telling his mates that he was going to get the 21". Obviously in his eyes bigger was better.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Unless of course she has really long legs. Maybe this is his GF?
    Gallery-Barbie-The-origin-027.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • a2hgo
    Ok, so I'm still looking, gave that one a miss.

Currently on my list are:

Cube Attention - Says he'll take £450 (seems a little over priced would be willing to pay around the £400 mark.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/cube-mountain ... 500wt_1414

Specialized Hardrock - Not sure what price he's after or what it's worth really but its only down the road from me:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110942029988? ... 615wt_1397

Option 3: Carry on waiting to see if my £400 will be better spent on anything else...
  • chez_m356
    a2hgo wrote:

Specialized Hardrock - Not sure what price he's after or what it's worth really but its only down the road from me:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110942029988? ... 615wt_1397
    with a spec like that, a damn sight more than that cube
  • a2hgo
    Really? Do you think he'll be after more than £500? I know the forks are good but the rest is average right?
  • chez_m356
    a2hgo wrote:
    Really? Do you think he'll be after more than £500? I know the forks are good but the rest is average right?
    hardly what you would call average
      SLX chainset
      SLX Shifters
      SLX rear mech
      Deore front mech
      Shimano Deore brakes
    • a2hgo
      Guess I need to do a bit more research on what's good.
    • warpcow
      That Hardrock might go for more than £400, but not by much I'd think. I'd keep an eye on it for a few days and see how the price develops. If it moves slowly, make him an offer.
    • a2hgo
      Are you saying its worth more than £400 and a better buy than the Cube? :D

I'm not much for the flat handlebars so would change them, would need to buy pedals and the wheels look like they're actually for v brakes rather than disks...
    • warpcow
      a2hgo wrote:

Yes, but not by much 2nd-hand, and very yes. There might be an issue with that Cube being on a cycle-scheme too. Unless they've bought it out, it technically doesn't belong to them. That's not to say anyone will care though.
    • Greer_
      Greer_ Posts: 1,716
      a2hgo wrote:

I'm not much for the flat handlebars so would change them, would need to buy pedals and the wheels look like they're actually for v brakes rather than disks...

Far far far better! You'd be lucky to get rebas on a bike costing twice as much! And SLX everything .... its unbeatable for the price IMO!

And the wheels are definitely for disc brakes ... there's a disc attached to the hub, that can't be done if there's no fitment on the hub. What's wrong with flat bars? Wait until you try them before you change anything.
    • Greer_
      Greer_ Posts: 1,716
      That's as long as everything is in good condition though!