Raleigh Avanti

angry_bird
angry_bird Posts: 3,786
edited November 2013 in Your road bikes
So I got this bike, a Raleigh Avanti U6 Comp back in late November 2009. IIRC it cost me £600 from the LBS in their sale. Initially bought it to work on my fitness and for those times when I want to go out for a ride but don't have time to take the mountain bike somewhere entertaining. Found I've started enjoying it slightly too much sometimes.

Anyway, basic spec as follows. Avanti U6 Frame, aluminium with carbon chainstays and seatstays. Carbon fork with carbon steerer it would seem. Came standard with Tiagra groupset, some heavy wheels (Xero somethings) but I like the way they look so that's ok, and FSA bars, stem and post. All I've done is swap the post for an FSA carbon seatpost because I saw it was stupidly cheap on ebay.

So here it is. Photo taken back in the summer, bike hasn't changed since then, unfortunately hasn't done many miles since then either what with me being at uni but that'll change soon enough.

47463_431122147650_504117650_5551908_4487659_n.jpg

47446_431122142650_504117650_5551907_7393836_n.jpg

Very pleased with it for the price I paid for it.

35735_406502870938_691010938_4504432_2834659_n.jpg

Comments

• Soon you'll be thinking that those people who drive around on a Saturday or a Sunday with mountain bikes strapped to the roof rack are a bunch of plonkers.
  • angry_bird
    Soon you'll be thinking that those people who drive around on a Saturday or a Sunday with mountain bikes strapped to the roof rack are a bunch of plonkers.

They are, anyone with some sense keeps the bike in the car :wink:
  • quite nice ! :wink::lol:
  • angry_bird
    Forgot this thread existed for a while, I'll be honest, the bike didn't get much use the past year, whenever I was back from uni it was always mountain bikes. Now I'm moving to a new and bigger house though it's coming with me (along with an mtb) for the next few years of uni.

The mountain bikes, they've had plenty of use in the holidays, but I rarely ride them more than 20 miles in one session, and even then it's completely different to road cycling. So now I've finished my placements for this summer and have loads of time I've decided it's time to get this thing out again in the mornings, then play with the muddy bikes in the afternoons. Given how little I've done recently I'm happy that I'm not having problems covering 50 miles routes on it at the moment and sticking to a consistent and fairly decent speed.

Anyway recently got a new seatpost, exotic 27.2x300 carbon titanium seatpost. Didn't like the one I had, the 20mm setback just didn't seem to suit massively well. New one is quite a bit lighter too. Also the bar tape, I like it, the white just looked so dirty and I was sick of trying to clean it.

7850660464_2bf3c35d46_z.jpg
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Looks great. The bartape is really nice.
  • fludey
    fludey Posts: 384
    Liking the bar tape :)
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
    MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!
  • My daughter has just seen your bar tape and now wants it. Just after I replaced her black tape with white on her red Allez and put a set of new RS80 C24 wheels on it. That's gratitude for you. Don't have children.

ps where did you get the bar tape please :cry:
  • angry_bird
    edited August 2012
    Cheers guys
    My daughter has just seen your bar tape and now wants it. Just after I replaced her black tape with white on her red Allez and put a set of new RS80 C24 wheels on it. That's gratitude for you. Don't have children.

ps where did you get the bar tape please :cry:

Well at least she's happy with the wheels :lol:

It's fizik microtex bar tape, got it from CRC, but if you want the stripey stuff I think it's discontinued although wiggle have some

Edit, just found it on CRC while browsing through my order history. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=35056
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    red handlebar tape is quite zanny.
  • angry_bird
    So, I saw some wheels on the PX website for a mere £315, and I couldn't help but buy them… stupidly long valve extensions are temporary, just needed a quick fix from the LBS.

10491091476_8986043349_c.jpg

Only taken 4 years but steerer is now chopped down, new saddle shortly too, something black I think.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    That looks well good, +1 for the black saddle.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    smart wheels
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Wheels and bar tape much improved!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • There's something about that name Raleigh on the downtube isnt there.

Iconic brand im sure many on here have once owned. Glad to see they are trying to come back into the pro market.
  • angry_bird
    Cheers for the comments guys. Hopefully get the saddle sorted in a few weeks, got some revision time coming up so the money I save on booze will get me a new perch at the very least.
    There's something about that name Raleigh on the downtube isnt there.

Iconic brand im sure many on here have once owned. Glad to see they are trying to come back into the pro market.

Yeah, I'm very fond of it. Obviously the frames are made 1000s of miles away and are owned by the Dutch but I like to remember that it started out fairly locally to me and has a massive history. In fact I frequently see their pro riders out training when I'm back home.
  • angry_bird
    10827513014_378e7dc4f2_c.jpg

Saddle saddle saddle sorted. Selle Italia SLR thingy ma bob. It's nice, firmer than the old one which I like. Not had chance to put many miles through it yet because of revision, only managed a hundred odd over the last couple of days but so far so good.

Excuse the pedals too, my mtb shoes are just too cozy this time of year, especially given I left my overshoes back up at home last weekend.
  • Sodafarl
    Sodafarl Posts: 118
    Lovely bike, wheels really set it off.