etape cyrmu

speshsteve
speshsteve Posts: 352
Don't know if anyone else has entered this but I've just found out they expect you to register prior to the event on either the Saturday or Friday which for me is totally impossible logistically (I'm travelling up from London and can't actually get to wales until the Sunday early morning). Anyone else aware of this, have the same problem?

I've never had this before at any previous event, certainly don't expect to pay 50 quid only for them to make my life harder then it is (hard enough getting a day pass from the wife let alone the fact its bloody miles from me)!
My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
cervelo R5 VWD
Spesh Roubaix
Genesis Equilibrium
Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
Spesh M4 Stumpy
Brompton SL2
Giant TCX
Canyon Grandcanyon 29er

Comments

• Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    This has been the case for some time with the Etape Caledonia. Basically in return for local road closures they wish to draw down some additional tourism income which is secured by ensuring that you have at least one overnight stay in the area.
  • speshsteve
    speshsteve Posts: 352
    fair play to the organisers they have accommodated me :) (were quick to respond via email too)
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • It’s dead easy to find your way to Bangor-on-Dee race course.

Leave the A483 at junction 6 for the A5156 and there are official yellow signs for Etape Cymru all the way.
  • That really was brilliant!

Closed roads are awesome, racing lines everywhere and fantastic weather and scenery. I thought the event was really well run, the level of organisation they had to ensure all the roads were closed to cars was absolutely boggling......well done human race one of the bet sportives in the UK :)
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • Big thumbs up to Human Race. Much better event than last year, nice to see cones across whole roads and trucks blocking entry onto the event, also loved the cheese toasties at one of the feed stops. Bettered last years time by over 1hr35mins so quite happy with myself. On downside apparently a lot of accidents at the ford at the bottom of Worlds End descent (I was told 30 crashes from someone who probably finished about mid pack) and at least two of those had broken collar bones and then the very serious accident on the last corner before the finish line involving a rider and a car (I hope the guy is ok). Apart from a lot of cramp for me I had a great day out.
  • Yup- a great day's cycling. I didn't do last years (but have read the reports). The organisation was spot on, closed roads meant for awesome descents - and better climbs when I remembered to use the whole road. Closed road didn't affect some descents as much as one might think as gravel, general road conditions etc. meant that a true 'racing line' couldn't be taken (this isn't a complaint - an observation).

Really good marshalling at all junctions - in all a great day. Worth the 4 hour drive each way from the south coast!

A suggestion for improvement - more food at the event centre at the finish.