Tools for workshop?.

kayo74
kayo74 Posts: 299
edited August 2012 in Workshop
Looking at getting some tools for maintenance on bike and upgrading parts etc. What tools do you most need/use ie cassette change/gearing/wheels etc.
Advice much appreciated.

Comments

• nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    i have a set of t handle allen keys from superstar components
    some random name:
    Crank puller
    chain whip
    cassette tool
    bottom bracket tool
    a couple of screw drivers one + and one -
    an adjustable spanner
    a 15mm spanner for pedals
    a hammer
    wire cutters

depending on what hubs you have a pair of cone spanners is also useful
  • haf1zur
    haf1zur Posts: 124
    Chain breaker

Just bought one as well
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have a look on Parktools. it lists the tools you need for each job.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    nwmlarge wrote:
    i have a set of t handle allen keys from superstar components
    some random name:
    Crank puller
    chain whip
    cassette tool
    bottom bracket tool
    a couple of screw drivers one + and one -
    an adjustable spanner
    a 15mm spanner for pedals
    a hammer
    wire cutters

depending on what hubs you have a pair of cone spanners is also useful

this ^^^ (prefer a soft mallet over a hammer though to save possible marks)

I originally started buying piece by piece (still am) but looking back i would have saved money buying a decent complete kit in the first place.
  • Hi, I'm off to the States next week, does anyone know if Park Tools are much of a bargain compared to prices in the UK. Should I leave space in my luggage for some tools.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    They are cheaper in the U.S. The reason why they are more expensive here is madison and VAT+ duty.

In the U.S the price will be quoted with sales tax which varies from state to state but I think is alot less than the 20% we get charged. I hope you do not get clobered for VAT and duty when you arrive as technically I suppose you could.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    if you unpack all the tools so they aren't in boxes you should get away with not being taxed.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    They are cheaper in the U.S. The reason why they are more expensive here is madison and VAT+ duty.

In the U.S the price will be quoted with sales tax which varies from state to state but I think is alot less than the 20% we get charged. I hope you do not get clobered for VAT and duty when you arrive as technically I suppose you could.

I was in the States last and found nothing cheap enough for me to want to bother lugging it all the way home! I think the thing is you'd need to source the tools from the cheapest places in the USA and not the LBS you find when you get out there. US LBS prices might be cheaper than UK LBS prices but they probably aren't cheaper than UK mail order prices.

When I started I bought one of the commonly available sets of tools in a silver case (badged Lifu in my case). You can get them from bike shops, Ebay or Lidl when they have sales though I've no idea if the quality varies between sets. Mine was £45 from Woodrups in Leeds. I've renovated two bikes with it and maintained another 5 bikes to cover me over 25000 miles. In that time I have broken a cassette tool (due to me overtightening the cassette) and the chain tool. Aside from that, it has all worked faultlessly in one neat package. I have actually used every single tool in the kit.

Since then, for various bikes, I've had to buy another (Campag) cassette tool, a freewheel remover, cable cutters and a couple of torque wrenches. And not really much else.

A lot of people have a lot of hate for these toolkits and I'd say that the tools are definitely not as nice as Park ones nor as tough. But you really only need the toughness to cope with neglect so if you look after your bike then I think these kits are more than adequate. You can always upgrade as you go along and in the meantime it's good to know that there is a good chance that next time you need to do something on the bike you've not thought of doing before, you already have the tool for it.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Thanks Clinic, NWM and Rolf, one or two park shaped gems may find there way into my luggage for the journey home, thanks for the tips.
  • trouble with quick replies and not wishing to offend any english teachers, obviously the gems will be finding their way back to UK.
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    I'd recommed a torque key (if you have carbon components). I got this one the other day and it has made working with seatposts and handlebars a lot less stressful

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/produc ... rtno=37548