new tyre and inner tube but flat when riding

bazdawn
bazdawn Posts: 3
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
hi all, new to the forum hope someone can help. ive got a shimano mountain bike ive just put a new inner tube and new rear tyre on my bike, it fits well and pumps up hard to the touch with not much give, im 12 stone 12lb but when i ride on my bike the tyre looks pretty well flat. when i get off the tyre still feels hard. i havent got a pump with a pressure guage just a ordinary one, any idea whats happening or am i just a fat so and so and need to lose weight.
baz

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    add more air if you feel you need it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Tyre often just look pretty flat looking from the top.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yeah, it doesn't matter if the tyre 'squishes' a bit when you're on it. In fact it's supposed to do that.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Shimano never made a mountain bike........
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bazdawn
    bazdawn Posts: 3
    thanks for the replies, i know the tyres give a little with my weight on the seat but my girlfriend who goes riding with me says it looks really flat when im on it. ive also been looking at other mountain bikers and notice there tyres dont look as flat as mine, maybe more pumping up is needed.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Sounds like it! Squeezing is a virtually impossible way to gauge pressure.