Monarch R Platform Damping?

christiannorman
christiannorman Posts: 27
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi there, i'm looking at getting a Boardman Team FS and it has a Monarch R rear shock, it says on the Bike Radar review that it has adjustable platform damping but i can't find the full details on the shock and don't really know what that means, on the only spec i can find it says it has Hydraulic damping with IFP, again i don't know what that means.
I know that it has no lock out but does have rebound adjustment but am a bit lost on the others, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Have you looked at the tech docs on the RS website?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I tried but it only has the Monarch Plus manual
  • cooldad
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Like he said only the monarch plus is listed below, and opening it brings you the vivid air article.

But anyway, to answer your question, it has adjustable rebound and a gold knob that does nothing. As i know someone who had it and turning the gold knob all the way either way made no difference to feel at all.

It is a floodgate knob that controls a floodgate that isn't adjustable, kind of. Pretty daft.
  • cooldad
    Try again - it opens on the Monarch R page, and if you read the specs, it quite clearly says:

Spring Adjust Spring via Air Pressure
    Damping Hydraulic with IFP, External rebound adjustment
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Still opens the wrong page, although i meant to say monarch plus not vivid air. So its still wrong.

I blame SRAM.
  • cooldad
    Makes a change from Wiggle but opens on the right page for me - must be that modern (random) thought controlled browser you use. The page is R but the pdf doc says R+
    But anyway the answer is still yes and yes.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Thank you for your help but i'm still a little confused, this would be my first full suss so am just trying to get my head round what it will do.
    I understand rebound adjustment and setting the sag right but am i right in thinking that i won't be able to adjust the damping when out riding as i can with the front forks, on the review it said about having platform damping that they ran fully open but the only control i can see is for the rebound.
    Sorry if i'm being stupid but the terms like 'Spring Adjust Spring via Air Pressure & Damping Hydraulic with IFP' don't mean anything to me as i'm still new to it all.
    Thanks.
  • cooldad
    You don't adjust damping while you are riding anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • All i really wanted to know was whether i could stiffen the bike up a little for going uphill and then release for downhill like with a floodgate but got lost in terminology.
    Thanks for the help.
  • cooldad
    That would be lockout (front) or propedal.
    I wouldn't worry about it. I (and most people I ride with) never actually use them off road.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Excellent, thanks.