Italy

alanp23
alanp23 Posts: 696
edited August 2012 in The cake stop
Just got back from my second trip to Italy this year. Unlike the first, this was the family holiday where I took the bike with me. I did my usual thing of getting up early each day and getting a few hours in before anyone else woke up. Twice I was let off the leash for a big ride.

Here are some observations of Italy, never having been properly on social riding before.

1. The Maratona jersey gets some serious respect. I saw at least ten riders over the the period of time wearing it. All different versions and I definitely got more nods when I was out in mine.

2. Nobody but nobody on a bike pays any attention to a red traffic light (except me, and I went through a few if I found myself in a group)

3. Car drivers were worse than in the UK. I know they are Italian drivers but I thought the Continentals showed more respect to cyclists. I had a significant number of scary moments on the road where cars were coming towards me overtaking at speed. Nothing quite as terrifying as seeing both sides of the road occupied by cars hurtling towards you.

4. They like their long unlit tunnels.

5. Cycling shops selling an interesting selection of jerseys seem few and far between. (I always like to pick up a souvenir)

6. You go faster. I can only assume this was because it was so warm. I was going about 4-5mph faster on the flat that I would at home. Maybe, the weather just made me feel better. I dont know.

7. There are huge packs of Italians who seem to be out cycling everyday. Dont they have jobs to go to? In France, I have seen them all out on a club run on a Sunday morning. In Italy, there seemed to be various club runs every day.

8. It helps to know some Italian cycling words. Pointing at the valve in a cycling shop when you want a new inner tube, isnt the most effective way.

9. The scenary is spectacular and its easy to find some decent climbing or some long flats or both.

10. Great Britain was extremely fashionable. Loads of clothing/bags etc adorned with Union Jack logos etc. All very nice.

11. Most wear club kit though there were more than a few out in pro kit. Sky, BMC, Liquigas, Mercatone Uno being the favourites.

Thats it. I thought you all would like to know.
Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    alanp23 wrote:
    The Maratona jersey gets some serious respect. I saw at least ten riders over the the period of time wearing it. All different versions and I definitely got more nods when I was out in mine.
    Sounds good, where can I buy one? :twisted:
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Where about's in Italy did you go ?

Although i have never cycled over there i have been a few times,Sorrento and Lake Garda being my favourite places,witnessed lots of Roadies over there riding in packs no matter what day of the week it was...

Were clearly doing something wrong over here. :D
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    Where did you go?
    Did you enjoy it?

What i miss most from Italy are Mamma, food (I have never been able to eat pizza or tomatoes here in UK that taste as they should), and climbs (my fav climb start 2km from Mum's home, and is 20km at average 10%, where can I get that in UK?).
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    bompington wrote:
    alanp23 wrote:
    The Maratona jersey gets some serious respect. I saw at least ten riders over the the period of time wearing it. All different versions and I definitely got more nods when I was out in mine.
    Sounds good, where can I buy one? :twisted:

If fits like the one I got in 2006 then don't bother buying :roll:
  • alanp23
    A week in Lake Garda. My long ride there was completely round the lake - 90 miles, hence my comments about the tunnels. I had no lights and a couple were quite hairy. Luckily, it was early morning when I went through them.

Then down to near Viareggio for the second week. Mountains to the east, flat as a pancake north and south...

The Maratona jerseys are available at the Maratona. I do recommend it.
    As well as the jersey, I did get a pair of shorts but I will never wear them. They look horrendously camp.
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    alanp23 wrote:
    A week in Lake Garda. My long ride there was completely round the lake - 90 miles, hence my comments about the tunnels. I had no lights and a couple were quite hairy. Luckily, it was early morning when I went through them.

Then down to near Viareggio for the second week. Mountains to the east, flat as a pancake north and south...

The Maratona jerseys are available at the Maratona. I do recommend it.
    As well as the jersey, I did get a pair of shorts but I will never wear them. They look horrendously camp.

I spent my first 24yr in Italy and Lake Garda is perhaps where I know best, my Mum lives there.
    Few cyclist round the lake but most consider it too dangerous, many tunnels long, narrow, and dark, especially on the west.
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    Many fond memories of cycling in Italy. Usually stay in Nice or Menton (in France), cycle across the border (no passport required on a bike) then along the coast road to San Remo. From there you can join a fabulous purpose built coastal bike path as far as your legs will carry you. Its an old railway line that has been converted, literally next to the sea. My usual trip is to cycle as far as Imperia, have a spot of Italian lunch, then cycle back. You can also head up into the hills north of Ventimiglia, or stay in France and climb the Col D'Eze (of Paris-Nice fame) or the challenging Madone (of Madone fame). And yes, you DO ride much faster and better when its warm and sunny. Oh happy days!
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • alanp23
    Pep wrote:
    I spent my first 24yr in Italy and Lake Garda is perhaps where I know best, my Mum lives there.
    Few cyclist round the lake but most consider it too dangerous, many tunnels long, narrow, and dark, especially on the west.

Yes, I bet it is mainly tourists who have no idea they should have brought their lights. :wink: