Touring or Hybrid Bike

Rad Rich
Rad Rich Posts: 5
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
I'm looking to do JOGLE this summer, I was just going to buy a touring bike, but because of my budget have started looking at hybrid bikes. Any advice on touring with a hybrid bike, I suppose tyres would need changing specifically for road use? I'll also need it for training. Any advice would be welcome.

Comments

• I would advise a touring bike. What's your budget?
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Budget about 3 to 4 hundred, or less. Would consider 2nd hand bike.
  • Kingsway Cycles in Cambridge are offering Dawes Vantage at £429 might be worth a look if you can stretch your budget. Second hand is a good option and there are many options, from the for sale listings on forums such as here and the CTC site. GoingGoingBike is a bike specific auction site but is not as ubiquitous as Fleabay
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Diogenes
    Diogenes Posts: 1,628
    Take a look at this, http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 155c018343.

It’s an excellent starter tourer and currently being sold at £350. Sizes are limited however but if you are short person then your luck is in.

A half decent hybrid would however be fine, just make sure you have the right frame size, a reasonable range of gears and the braze-on’s to carry a rack. Our group of weekend warriors have toured on allsorts from a Cannondale road bike (not ideal) to a full blown expedition bike (overkill) and everything between. I guess you are not hoping to break the lejog record so you just need comfort, decent weather and friends and you will have a huge grin on your face!

D :D
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    If you go with a hybrid you will need more handhold options, either bar ends or a triathlon style aerobar or butterfly-style treckking bars.
    You can do Jogle on hybrid tyres. 28-32mm is probably about right depending on your weight/load.
    Do you need front panniers? Non suspension forks are lighter and less to go wrong. Some have pannier rack eyelets. It is harder (bit not impossible) to fit front racks to suspension forks
  • Diogenes wrote:
    Take a look at this, http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 155c018343.

It’s an excellent starter tourer and currently being sold at £350. Sizes are limited however but if you are short person then your luck is in.

A half decent hybrid would however be fine, just make sure you have the right frame size, a reasonable range of gears and the braze-on’s to carry a rack. Our group of weekend warriors have toured on allsorts from a Cannondale road bike (not ideal) to a full blown expedition bike (overkill) and everything between. I guess you are not hoping to break the lejog record so you just need comfort, decent weather and friends and you will have a huge grin on your face!

D :D

EBC do great value budget bikes, if you plan on keeping cycling up, it might be an idea to consider a cyclo cross bike in your options All the benefits of drop bars generous gearing & tourer carriage but adaptable for rougher terrain or whipping along on the road.

EBC cross is £400 ish and well worth the money.
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    I would go second hand definitely for better value. Try a LBS for a traded in older model and barter them down or get some stuff thrown in to boot!
  • Lots for me to think about, thanks for the feedback.

The other issue I have, I've decided to do a few swims on the way, some of the destination are are off-the-beaten-track, so I'm thinking a hybrid maybe my option.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Hybrid bikes were created by companies as a means to market an mtb-looking bike to the masses - everything about them is a compromise and their actual utility as a bike is pretty limited - the straight bars and limited hand positions can make them uncomfortable for long rides and the position is too upright to help for faster riding. People have been riding touring bikes into pretty inhospitable areas for years - durability and reliability is most important.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Didn't someone do it on a unicycle once?

I'm sure there are special places in Hell reserved for people like me, but Halfords are flogging their Subway hybrid for £199, reduced from £450 at the moment. Even if it's rubbish that's still £250 you can spend on drugs and strippers en route.
    Cannondale CAAD 9
    Dawes Horizon Twin
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    +1 for Edinburgh Bicycle. I've had one of their tourers for years and it's a superb bike.

Nice thing about a tourer is having drop bars. You can change your hand position to ease fatigue and get down out of the wind when going fast or into a headwind. The front fork on a hybrid won't have mounts for panniers. With a good tourer you get a really strong rear rack with proper mounts and mudguards. I think my rack is rated for 50kg!
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • I think the halfords subway hybid got small wheels. Think I'm going to get a touring bike.
  • cwbb
    cwbb Posts: 16
    i have the subway hybrid limited edition it would do the trick great for panniers [if you need to do so the attachment screw holes are in place] wheels are 26inch so would suit pannier bags fine good enough gearing it also has a triple chainring. :D
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I'm in Norway this week and I've hired a Felt hybrid. It's a decent bike but my word it feels slow compared to my race bike! No speedo on it so can't tell how much the difference is.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Definitely go for a tourer. As was noted above a hybrid is a compromise bike that doesn't really do anything especially well.