Middle chain ring issue

insaino86
insaino86 Posts: 32
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
HI

I Currently installed a triple ring deore crankset onto an existing 8 speed rear cassette set up. Previous cranset was an stock suntour crank.

I have set the low screw and high screws to 1mm clearance. However I cannot get all gears in the middle chain ring. Can only get 3 to 7. (1 being smallest) If i adjust the cable tension I can get move this range but cannot get all 8 gears.

How can I cure this? Is there somethign I need to do with the rear derailleur?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Read http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help
    And start again.
    Presumably you have changed like for like in terms of gearing?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Sounds like the limit screws are the problem.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Just FYI, 1st gear, or gear 1 in the cassette is the lowest gear - that's the standard convention. It helps when you're asking for help!
  • Sounds like the limit screws are the problem.

Do i need to set the limits further out. They are already over 1mm on both highest and lowest gears which is the setting i have read is to be done??

If both these limits clear the highest and lowest I cant understand why I would only get 5 gears of range in the middle??

I have read numerous articles, but what is written doesnt seem to work on my bike?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Don't get it. What about in the small and big ring, can you shift into all rear gears?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Loosen everything off and start again. Was the shifter in the right position when you started?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    insaino86 wrote:
    Sounds like the limit screws are the problem.

Do i need to set the limits further out. They are already over 1mm on both highest and lowest gears which is the setting i have read is to be done??

If both these limits clear the highest and lowest I cant understand why I would only get 5 gears of range in the middle??

I have read numerous articles, but what is written doesnt seem to work on my bike?

what parts do you have? part numbers?

what is this 1mm you mention? there is a right place to set the first point for a mech and the rest follow from that.

read the info on Parktools and t5he info for YOUR mech and shifters.

Or tell us what you have.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown