Shimano 9 and 10 speed drivetrain compatibility

symanoy
symanoy Posts: 123
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
So currently running a 3x9 Shimano setup but would like to go 2x10, however to do that all in one go would cost £200-£300 which I don't really have lying around right now!

I understand that 7/8/9 speed shimano stuff is pretty interchangeable, but 10 speed is all dyna sys branded stuff.

From previous research I understand that a dyna sys crankset is not essential to running a 10 speed setup and a 9 speed crankset will work, however what about other parts namely the mechs? Can you run a 10 speed mech with 9 speed shifters without issues?

The reason I ask is that I could then begin to upgrade over a larger period of time, i.e. use a 10 speed rear mech, then later on whack on a double crankset with a 2x10 mech, then when the 9 speed casette and chain wear out replace them with 10 speed versions and get some new shifters, this would help spread the cost over time which would help me.
But would it work??
Giant Trance X2 Build Sadly since stolen!
replaced with Giant Trance MKII

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    viewtopic.php?f=40073&t=12733834

all there. all needs changing at the same time.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • symanoy
    Thank you Nicklouse very helpful!!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just go 2x9. Free.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • symanoy
    that does make sense! been using the Sheldon brown gear calculator gizmo, and looks like i can probably get the spread of gears i want with a 2x9 over a 2x10.

In terms of cranksets, Im want to run shimano, the only doubles they seem to do in the SLX 9 sp, and XT 10 sp, (ignoring the too expensive XTR)

going back to original opening topic, would it be ok to run 10 sp XT crankset with otherwise 9sp setup? i can't find a 9 sp XT, and the SLX is a 22/36 whereas i probably want a 24/38
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what is wrong with your current cranks?

what do you think we did before they started making 2 ring set ups again?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • symanoy
    haha fair point! simply drop off a ring, much cheaper. and i guess allows to use the existing front mech and shifter just remembering not to shift into third gear! though I guess limit screws could sort this?
    if I did opt for a proper double, does that require a specific 2x9 front mech and a different shifter?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yes, no and no.
  • Take outer ring off, replace with bash (if needed), set limit screws to only move to middle ring..

the only 'double specific' front mech i can think of is the SLX one, which isn't needed as you can set any mech to work with a double setup
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I did it the other way: took granny ring off, adjusted stop screws, then eventually bought TA Chinook rings in sizes that best suited what I did. Have had a couple of 'proper' double chainsets, and they bring nothing to the table compared to a converted triple.
  • symanoy
    Does a proper double have any benefits in terms of chain line? i.e. the two rings being set on either side of where the middle ring would be normally as opposed to one being central and one to the side?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Yes, but IME that has no real world benefit!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Take outer ring off, replace with bash (if needed), set limit screws to only move to middle ring..

the only 'double specific' front mech i can think of is the SLX one, which isn't needed as you can set any mech to work with a double setup
    I've got an XT one on the 456 which is loads better than the triple one that was on before. The cage is shorter, so it can sit lower down without hitting the chainstay, meaning the chain stays on the rings much better.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."