First time out, Llandegla, A&E

Randomer
Randomer Posts: 22
edited August 2012 in MTB beginners
So, having just purchased my first MTB in over a decade I had my first proper outing on Saturday in Llandegla.

I went with a mate who was a little more experienced than I was and pretty much blindly followed him around, ended up doing the black run (probably my first mistake!). All as going well and I was really enjoying it right up until we go to B-Line. Having seen this on YouTube I knew what was coming and felt a little daunted, but I figured I had got this far without too much trouble (one minor off early on), how hard could it really be?

As it turned out, harder than I expected. I got onto the raised platform to start and was all going well until it came to getting off the platform. I saw it coming and panicked a little and tried to slow down, but ended up landing front wheel first and being catapulted over the bars.

To say it hurt would be putting it lightly, my face survived unscathed, but both elbows, both knees and my stomach and my chest took a hammering. I now have 4 stitches in my right elbow/forearm and loads of scrapes and bruises.

I probably pushed myself a little too far given my inexperience, but I loved (almost) every second of it. I can't wait to go again, though I think i'll let the arm heal first :lol:

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Well done, but as you know now never ever try to stop once your committed, 100% and go for it (easy for me to say without the stitches).

There is nothing you can't roll down on the "b" line so just unfortunate you came unstuck at the start as its good fun.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Randomer wrote:
    I got onto the raised platform to start and was all going well until it came to getting off the platform. I saw it coming and panicked a little and tried to slow down, but ended up landing front wheel first and being catapulted over the bars.

You did better than me on the B-Line then, I stuck the front brake on on the first rocky little descent onto the north shore and came off there, over the bars.
  • Randomer
    1mancity2 wrote:
    Well done, but as you know now never ever try to stop once your committed, 100% and go for it (easy for me to say without the stitches).

There is nothing you can't roll down on the "b" line so just unfortunate you came unstuck at the start as its good fun.
    Very true and definitely a lesson learned, all be it a painful one!

And you're right about it being fun, after picking myself up and dusting myself down I carried on (little option really given it was about 7k from the car park :lol: )
    mcnultycop wrote:
    You did better than me on the B-Line then, I stuck the front brake on on the first rocky little descent onto the north shore and came off there, over the bars.

I very nearly did that too, I think that was why I panicked when I came to the end one.
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    my mate did the same thing at the same place fortunately a handy tree stopped him abruptly ! I think he saw the funny side eventually we certainly did , get yourself some elbow pads and knee pads worth every penny......
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    tarbot18 wrote:
    get yourself some elbow pads and knee pads worth every penny......

I got some knee pads straight after my fall, going to Llandegla in about 10 days time so I can try them out on the B-Line.
  • Randomer
    Elbow pads have gone straight to the top of my list of items to buy, knee pads not so much yet but are definitely up there.

Just can't wait to heal up properly and get back out there. Having only been once I really want to go again. Bitten by the bug I think!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    I appreciate that this is the beginners section, and you're obviously pushing yourself, which is all well and good.
    However, you should be aware that black sections are graded thusly for a reason.
    Had it been a black at some other centres, then you could have ended up making a serious mess of yourself.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Took eldest son to try out his Hardrock at Llandegla on Sunday (as reported elsewhere). Bear in mind I am on a 7 year old ToysRUs special (!) and have no experience. Got up to the split where the blue leaves the red and decided (ambitiously) to head on through the red section.

As it turned out, the difficulty level was spot on - we kept the pace reasonable and had a lot of fun. Until about 7.5 miles in where my chain snapped. Despite having the tools with me, I couldn't stitch it back together so just pulled the chain off and ran with the bike uphill and coasted downhills for the last 3.5 miles. Good job I am reasonably fit! And we still covered the final section faster than the guys behind us!!

Matt
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • I was chatting to someone at work who went to Llandegla this weekend. They told me they were delayed by a couple of hours on the black run caring for someone who had come off, cracked his skull, broken his collar bone and messed up other parts of him

Definitely not for the faint hearted.
  • stanny_uk
    stanny_uk Posts: 147
    oh goody coz i'm there on SATURDAY!! been threatening to go for ages.. cant wait
  • Randomer
    I appreciate that this is the beginners section, and you're obviously pushing yourself, which is all well and good.
    However, you should be aware that black sections are graded thusly for a reason.
    Had it been a black at some other centres, then you could have ended up making a serious mess of yourself.
    I whole heatedly agree that they are graded as such as a warning. But I figured i'd give them a go at a reasonable pace and anything overly technical I would avoid or walk if necessary.

As it turned out I didn't have too much of a problem with the rest of the trail (fitness aside) other than that one bit.

I am still searching for my limits and I have absolutely no doubt I will come off again and again doing so. But how do you know where your limits are without trying?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I'm pretty sure tehre's words to the effect of "these trails are for experienced, expert mountain bikers only" on the black sections, suggesting that you honestly consider your skill level.
    Now admittedly, it's been a while since I rode Llandegla, but the last time I was there, there was nothing untoward on the black - in most centres they'd be thought of as a red trail, realistically.
    But, you should still be careful abotu just throwing yourself down willy-nilly.
    I seem to recall that in Glentress, for example, there are several un-rollable drops of about 2 and a half to 3 feet right before tight bends. Mess up or panic on something like that, and there's a really good chance of hurting yourself.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    nothing untoward on the black - in most centres they'd be thought of as a red trail, realistically.

This. Trail centre grading is widely inconsistent (as discussed elsewhere). In my view, Llandegla is tame compared to other places in Wales, and definitely every centre I've visited in Scotland.

I think maybe a difference is the accessibility compared to many trail centres - at Llandegla you seem to get a lot of less regular riders out on the trails who maybe think they're more experienced than they actually are? Not sure if that's fair, but that's how it has seemed to me whenever I've visited.
  • Randomer
    As I say lesson learned. I enjoyed myself and that is the main thing. I wasn't doing stupid speeds and was following somebody so had a pretty good idea what was coming the whole way round.

The main reason I came unstuck was I panicked, which yes was down to my inexperience. But I have learnt from it and would be more than willing to do it again after gaining a little more experience.
  • andermt
    andermt Posts: 20
    Now admittedly, it's been a while since I rode Llandegla, but the last time I was there, there was nothing untoward on the black - in most centres they'd be thought of as a red trail, realistically.

I was at Llandegla on Tuesday and rode the 'new' black for the 1st time. As you say there used to be nothing untoward and everything was rollable.
    This is still the case except the entrance and exit of the new North Shore section after JJ's, the entrance looks rollable as you approach but isn't, and it hurts a bit when you get it wrong :lol: The exit is quite obviously not rollable as you approach.

Still feels easier than the Red at Glentress though.
  • entrance looks rollable as you approach but isn't
    The exit is quite obviously not rollable as you approach.

Both are rollable, and I do, regularly.
    Canyon Nerve XC7
    Carrera Fury
    Specialized Secteur Elite
    Planet X Uncle John
  • stanny_uk
    stanny_uk Posts: 147
    we did llandegla saturday!! what a buzz. i think the people who come unstuck there are those that dont wanna roll stuff and jump.. i cleared first three doubles on b line then thought OMG your moving seriosly here,, you can see how people get hurt there.. but if you safe everything is rollable.. just i'm an idiot and like to have ago..RESULT=2 crashes for day,nothing big+ mates 1 masshoosive get off on jj jumps lol!! oh and no one mentions the killa climbs in you tube just the fun stuff,,!!!! my heart was beating out my chest on run up to visiters centre home!!! i drove 120 miles and it was well worth it.. loved it
  • YeehaaMcgee
    eh?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    eh?
    You are obviously old and no longer understand the language of us young hipsters.
    To translate - I believe he rode a mountain bike and quite enjoyed it.
    Perhaps it will catch on?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Na, probably not. I mean, look at the "cycle show" - it's all track, commuting and roadieingness. Mountain bikes are a fad, I tell you.
  • cooldad
    Had a penny farthing on this week. So it's getting there.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Ah, 92-ers?
  • cooldad
    Bloke rode round the world on it and beat a Brompton or something on a track. Definitely the future.
    Couldn't see if he was using SPD's or flats though, but he did say tubeless was sh1t. Or maybe he didn't.
    Gee Atherton on next week - he's the he, isn't he, not the cute one?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Yeah, Gee is Rachel's older brother.
    I'd be surprised if they have Gee, but not Rach and Dan.
  • cooldad
    That's what they said, just the ugly one. Probably have him testing a recumbent or something.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools