chain device noise?

black.converse
black.converse Posts: 56
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
hey, iv just got a chain device from superstar and iv got a q ring put on my mtb, im running a 1x9 setup. but when im riding the chain is rubbin on the chain device and is rather loud. please tell me this isnt meant to be? :? it kinda sounds like poop. cheers
It never gets easier. You just go faster. – Greg LeMond

The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without shocking the entire community. - Ann Strong

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    No. Check the instructions and the alignment. Summit must be up.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    which device?
    where is it rubbing?
    pics?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    No. Check the instructions and the alignment. Summit must be up.

I've had 2 from Superstar and never had any instructions (BB Mount and Seat tube mount XCR) but that said, they're pretty easy to set up and I don't have any real rubbing issues on the 1x9 setup I have on the hardtail at either end of the block. Took some fiddling but no more than about 10 minutes.

As Nick asks... Where's it rubbing - if it's at the sides then you need to do some more fiddling (type of fiddling depends on which guide) If it's at the top/bottom of the guide then I would hazard a guess that it's an issue with the fact you've got a q ring which IIRC are those slightly odd oval(ish) ones which would likely be a pig to get the height adjusted properly.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    I run 1 x 9 with a q ring and use the superstar top guide. Takes a little time to setup, just have the bolt not too tight so as you keep spinning the cranks you can set the height by eye. (assuming its the top of the chain where its rubbing).