Ride With Brad - how did you do...

Cleat Eastwood
Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.

Comments

• Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    137th in the 100km. Gutted.
  • kayo74
    kayo74 Posts: 299
    110th on the 100km........very pleased out of 732 8)
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    Was hoping to maintain a 15mph average, but there where a few 'bumps', so didn't manage this. Hey ho :P

It was my first 100 miler 8)

I rode with Brad 8)

And it was a brilliant day out that I will always remember :D
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Not a race. At all.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    The good thing about sportives like this is you can make it what you want. Either treat it as a race and push yourself hard, or take it easy and take in the scenery.
    Either way, it is good to be able to gauge how fit you are getting, by seeing your finishing position.
    I did the 100K and finished comfortably in the top 100, but I like to push hard, and loved every minute.
  • It was a great day. With a brilliant atmosphere of both the participants and the many roadside spectators waiting to get a glimpse of Bradley.

We were lucky that we started in the group after the man himself, and caught up with him when he had to wait for some cows to cross the road!
  • -
    We were lucky that we started in the group after the man himself,

what time did he actually set off by the way.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • kayo74
    kayo74 Posts: 299
    About 7.30ish
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    It was a great day. With a brilliant atmosphere of both the participants and the many roadside spectators waiting to get a glimpse of Bradley.

We were lucky that we started in the group after the man himself, and caught up with him when he had to wait for some cows to cross the road!

Yes, the well-wishers were very welcome, I realise they were out 'Brad-spotting' but none the less, I've not had that many spectators cheering us along on a sportive before (had quite a few on the Great North Run, but that's something else). Thank you to all who came out to cheer us on.

Did anyone else see former lefty politician Derek Hatton on the ride? I saw him looking shattered in the feed stop at Chipping.

I came 406th out of 628 for the 160km, 48 seconds over 8 hours, which is what I expected given it was my first sportive over 65 miles. I was just happy to get round to be honest!
  • Brad started at 7:51 - I've seen a pic somewhere, think blackburn telegraph, maybe. We had about a mile with him after the climb of Cross O Greet before the drop just before Bentham. Was tough keeping up with him whist trying to take a picture but I loved it. We stopped at Wray whilst he was there. Then we set off before he did and he whizzed passed us again before Quernmore ( can't remember the rode ). The second time we didn't bother trying to keep up as we had the dreaded Jubilee Tower to climb!!
    Certainly made my day and whenever I felt I was struggling I just needed to remember the mile with Brad and that spurred me on.
    How can I top my first Sportive. Having never ridden quite the 100 miles before or climbed quite that far I will treasure this forever. When else can you say you actually ridden with an Olympic Champion and Tour de France Winner!!!
    I was 359th for the 100miles and that was with a shocking Waddington Fell climb when I felt like I had been out on the beer the night before!

Loved the few banners, etc that were dotted around.
    2012 Bianchi Via Nirone Xenon

960 miles in 8 days starting 6th April 2013
    www.justgiving.com/teams/cyclemadness

cyclemadness.blogspot.co.uk
  • 53rd in the 100km. Pretty chuffed as that was the toughest and equal longest ride I've ever done. Might not be a race but I enjoyed pushing myself to see how I compared against others.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    69th in the 160km ride in 6 hours 32 minutes. A great event but I was cursing the hills during the last 20km.
    The people on the shorter route shared the toughest section of the ride. Kudos to the less experienced riders who managed to get round.
  • (cough) 586th on the 160km. In my defence I am a stone over my normal weight, having done the ride the day after coming back from three weeks away doing little but eat and drink, and didn't really look at the route properly so turned up on my standard road-double bike. My legs were cramping within 40km on the climbs with 39x26 the lowest I could go, and I did end up having to cyclo-cross (ie. walk) bits of the steepest gradients later. My 100km split time was 4:35 so maybe I should have done that! Still, I really enjoyed my first sportive and longest ever one day ride.