Isle of Man End 2 End 2012

TheJohnClimber
TheJohnClimber Posts: 154
edited September 2012 in XC and Enduro
Who else off here is doing this years Isle of Man End 2 End it's only 3 weeks away.

It will be my 3rd one after missing last years and I'll be aiming for under 4 hours again.

Comments

• Nah, having a year off this year.

As it happens though, I was up over Ballacobb this morning. They need to consider officially re-naming it Ballabog!

Top 200 or so should be alright, everyone after that is basically fcuked though! The sloc hasn't even been able to mend properly after last years event and slieu whallian is still in winter "river" mode.

In short, good luck, have fun, and bring waterproofs and a change of clothes for the finish.
  • Cheers for nothing :roll:

Have you heard which climb will be used in place of Ballacobb?
    Is it either Ballaugh or Ballacuberagh before taking in the Druidale tarmac descent and climb to add the extra 300ft of claimed climbing?
  • Not sure actually. I'd completely forgotten about the idea to change of the 1st climb this year. Has that actually been confirmed then?
  • Not sure actually. I'd completely forgotten about the idea to change of the 1st climb this year. Has that actually been confirmed then?

Maybe so
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... -roll-call

Please let me know if you find anything out. 8)

Maybe so
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... -roll-call

Please let me know if you find anything out. 8)

I will, but looking at the names already on the STW thread, I have no doubt they'll find out before I do.

Hmmm, if they've got rid of the ballacobb bit, I might actually go for it this year. I've just got myself an HD Hero 2 as well, so this could be a good opportunity to give it a good trial.

Although they said on there it'll add 10min to the overall time, I'm willing to bet if you can actually ride this one, it will HELP the time for most people who usually get caught in the log-jam. I was one of the last ones over the start line last year due to me getting to the start late, and ballacobb was a fcuking joke! If I can pass the pushers before brandywell, slieu whallian and the pipeline should be alright too.

After having my knee re-built in Jan, I reckon a sub-5hr time this time round would be a hell of an achievement, especially considering that in Jan they were saying I'd not even be back on a bike for another year. I've only got the Reed to do it on though (in my sig).

Are you SS again this year, or did I hear you say you were using the Pugs?

Hey, on a side note, I'd absolutely LOVE to try the Pugs if I see you about. I'll swap you for a try of the Bionicon travel adjust system ;)
  • did I hear you say you were using the Pugs?

Hey, on a side note, I'd absolutely LOVE to try the Pugs if I see you about. I'll swap you for a try of the Bionicon travel adjust system ;)

It's not a Pug it's a Salsa Mukluk :wink:

My ferry lands on Saturday from Heysham at 5.45 and i'll be heading to registration, if you're around at that time say hello. I'll also be riding back to the ferry ready for the Sunday 7.45 ferry so i'll maybe see you in Douglas then for a ride.
    I'm aiming for under 4hours again if the conditions are good
  • I'm going again this year. Gonna try set off closer to the front this year to hopefully avoid getting held up too much.
    GT Force Carbon Expert
    Carrera Fury
  • I was out yesterday having a bit of a recce. Took in St Johns to top of the pipeline (as well as some non-E2E trails)

Slieu Whalian is actually not in as bad condition as I thought it might be given all the rain we've had recently. It's pretty rutted in places, and most definitely single-file on the riding line (which is going to cause problems with the ramblers who like to have a chat while they take their bikes for a walk). It's still (imo) the toughest climb on the route, and one of the toughest climbs on the island though.

The good news is that it's gorgeous out there today, and forecast to continue well into next week. If it holds out, it's going to be a lovely, warm, reasonably dry run. Which is nice.

Quick snap from the Gopro:

GOPR0693.jpg
  • Hi,

I am doing the E2E for the third year and I am contemplating using slime tubes for the first time ever. Has anyone had any experience for these tubes. I am concerned that with a considerable section of the route being on the road that the tubes might hinder my speed due to the increase in rolling resistance.

Thanks in advance.
  • The race numbers have been published today:

http://www.manxtimingsolutions.com/Resu ... Number.pdf

# 140 coming through!!!!

# 1282 - "UNDER 4 HOURS ON THAT" - coming through!!!!