Play in the headset

welshkev
welshkev Posts: 9,690
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
My cove has developed some play in the headset, it's only been fitted for about 2 months so I think the actual headset is ok. I've taken the top cap off and noticed the star nut is a bit mangled and not square in the steerer, could this be causing the problem? Should I just put another star nut in?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If the nut allows the bolt to pull the top cap down then it will work. I take it you know how to adjust it!
  • welshkev
    Adjust the star nut?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No the headset.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Loosen the topcap and stem bolts, tighten the topcap until there is no play but the steering still moves easily and smoothly, tighten the stem bolts.
    Everything beds in after a while so they often need a tweak after fitting.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • welshkev
    Yeah I've done that, sorry for being dense. I can still feel some play there when I put the front brake on and rock the bike back and forth!
  • cooldad
    Headset, brake rotors, forks or just a bit of movement on the tyre?
    Lay it on the ground grab a fork leg and see if they move sideways. If not, it's not the headset.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • welshkev
    Ok, I'm pretty sure it's the headset but I'll go take a look at the other stuff and report back
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If it's the headset you didn't adjust it properly.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • welshkev

You think? Thanks for that awesome insight!
  • You sure its not the fork moving a very small amount? Its done me over a few tines!

Turn the bike upside down and rock the fork uppers back and forth..
  • welshkev
    Right it's the headset, the star nut is pulling up out of the steerer when I try and tighten the bolt on the top cap. I've got it tight now, but we'll see for how long.

I'm assuming the top cap bolt should tighten up until it can't be turned (within reason) or is there a certain torque?
  • no, the top cap bolt should be tightened until there is no movement in the headset/forks!

I've never tightened mine till it cant be turned!!
  • welshkev
    no, the top cap bolt should be tightened until there is no movement in the headset/forks!

I've never tightened mine till it cant be turned!!

See, this is why I always take my bike to the shop to be fixed!! I'm bloody useless. It's sorted for now anyway, but I'll be calling you next time Ben ;-)
  • Let me know if you have issues mate, I got a different type of headset tensioner thing that might work if the star nut doesn't stay put!

Nicked it from an old bike about 5 years ago, *think* I got all the bits...

And yeah, I'm cheaper than a bike shop ;) haha
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    I'm having the same problem with mine I think it might be my forks the bikes only a year old and coverd 1285 miles on and off road.... I think I might have to but the park tool books. But I have learnt a lot from this site aprt from my spelling and grammar
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    welshkev wrote:

You think? Thanks for that awesome insight!
    No, I know.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • if you think the SFN is slipping then best bet is pop down the LBS and grab another, there only a couple of quid tops,
    mine was doing the same, for some reason one of the flanges had flipped and the whole nut was slipping up, 5 minutes teapping out and replacing and all is good!!!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • cooldad
    Don't even need to get the old one out - just knock it on a bit further and put the new one in.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • welshkev
    Cheers guys, yeah I was thinking of just hitting the old one further down and putting a new one in.