Superstar XCR set up.

snotty badger
snotty badger Posts: 1,593
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I've just converted my Kula to 1x9 for the Kielder 100. Set up includes Hope 32t chainring, Superstar XCR chain guide and a Blackspire Stinger, 34-11t cassette.

The Stinger is used as a tensioner for when I'm running SS so I thought I'd just leave it in place, hence why I bought a seat tube mounted tensioner.

Anyhoo, does this look ok?

34t-

IMAG0433.jpg

IMAG0434.jpg

11t-

IMAG0435.jpg

IMAG0436.jpg

I thought the guide would sit closer to the top of the chain but it's as low as I can set it, is this ok?

Also I've set the guide to just clear the chain when in 34t, when the chain is down in the 11t it is clear of the guide by 2mm or so. I was expecting rub at its limits, have I misaligned it?

I went for the Superstar guide over the e13 seeing as after the Kielder the bikes going back to SS, I couldn't justify e13 prices for one event. TBH it seems fairly sturdy but if need be I'll beef it up.
08 Pitch Pro
14 Kona Unit
Kona Kula SS
Trailstar SS
94 Univega Alpina 5.3

Comments

• DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    You want it as low as possible without rubbing the top of the chain, looks as though it should be fine.
    Don't complain about it not rubbing the sides of the chain, thats a bonus. Ride it down some steps, if the chain stays on, its doing its job.
  • i'd be trying to get the lower guide closer to the chainring if you can, less chance of the chain jumping off.
  • snotty badger
    Cheers guys.

I'd have liked it closer to the top of the chain but it fouls the crank if I try and drop it any lower. I guess it works with a 32t chainring but isn't ideal?

I'll adjust the Stinger too, thanks for that tip.

Just wanting to check its ok before I hit the trails, I've hop off a few kerbs and it seemed ok. Will go stairs hunting too!
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • snotty badger
    Went for a blast yesterday, ran faultless. No rubbing either, jobs a good'un!
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3