MRP XCG bashguard on Canyon Nerve XC

Shackster
Shackster Posts: 257
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Just been trying to get this to work, there are a couple of problems - first, the chain ring bolts on the granny ring rub on the plate (and have slightly scratched it so CRC might not accept it back if I can't get it to work), and second, the back-plate is pressing hard against the chain stay when the BB cup is tightened.

I can possibly fix the first problem by using the spacer they give you, between the chainset and the BB cup, although thanks to my OCD tendancies I'm worried about messing the chain-line up.

The second problem can only be fixed by taking an angle grinder to the device, but as I see it I would need to chop most of the top section off (there's a hole in the back-plate, so you can't just take a small section off), so I'd lose the benefit of the device stopping the chain dropping off on the inside on rough descents (one of the main reasons for buying it). MRP do suggest that the plate might need some modification, but what I'd have to do seems extreme.

So - is the XCG actually effective at stopping the chain dropping off the inside? If not then I can chop away, rely on the XCG for bash protection only and get a bionicon to reduce chain drop.

And - if I put the spacer in between the BB cup and the chainset, will my chain line be massively messed up? I know I'll have to adjust the front mech, obviously.

Or is there another BB-mounted product that acts as a bash guard and chain-drop-preventer?

Or is this all too much hassle and I should go double and bash + chain guide???
2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
Bianchi Road Bike

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so. BB width?
    Cranks? how many rings?
    set up? what is where on the axle line.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Shackster
    BB is 73mm
    XT HT-2 triple
    There is one spacer between the BB shell and the drive side cup. Nothing between the cup and the cranks. The spacer is exactly the same size as the bashguard plate.
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    as it is shimano you can get away with running an extra spacer. 73mm BB are always fun. see if you can find/use a spacer less than the 2.5mm standard.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Shackster
    Thanks Nick. So the chain line should still be OK. Hoping the front mech (cable) adjustment can be achieved by the barrel adjuster alone, as the cable clamp is inaccessible by allen key when you disconnect the cable! (my only real criticism of the canyon design, but it's more to do with shimano, really) - you have to pull the mech out a bit, stuff something between the frame and the mech, then guess the tension for that position, it's a bit of a 'mare.

Any comments from people who've had to modify these to get them to fit? In relation to them preventing (or not) the chain dropping off the inside?
    Bianchi Road Bike