award for sportives?

jamm13dodger
jamm13dodger Posts: 106
edited August 2012 in The cake stop
just a quick question, do you get a medal or similar for completing a sportive? Wont make any difference to me entering but im curious.

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Much better than a medal - you often get cake!!

Most i ever got was a rubbish goody bag (Liverpool -Chester- Liverpool) and a certificate at the Bay Dash (N Lancs / S Cumbria)
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Only if you win it.
    More problems but still living....
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Much better than a medal - you often get cake!!

You should try an Audax!
  • I was just reading another thread that had degenerated into an argument saying you couldnt win a sportive as it wasnt a race ;)
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    I've only done 2, the first was a wiggle event and everyone got a bag of freebies, water bottle, high 5 stuff etc. the second was a local company and they gave everyone a medal. TBH the free stuf I could actually use was more appreciated.
  • you get a medal for doing the cheshire cats mow cop climb. There was one around delamere forest a few years ago that had a medal - medals are common in the running events but not as far i know in the bikeling.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    You get to shag the podium girls
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I was just reading another thread that had degenerated into an argument saying you couldnt win a sportive as it wasnt a race ;)

technically true
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You can "win" a sportive. A sportive is just a looser race on a bigger scale than your average 4/3 cat road race. The good thing is you don't need a licence or get dropped and if you do no-one will notice as there are so many of you. Not going too fast is also a boon over traditional "RoadRacing" or (RRing, as I like to call it), you can pootle along, have a chat and have a nice sandwich, you won't get that RRing. Also RRing is usually just round normal B roads and such whereas your sportive will go along really pretty roads with lots of good scenery and if hilly, breath-taking views. You chat to lotsa folks who are dead friendly as well on a sportive and if you win it you may even get in Cycling weekly, who ever saw someone winning a 4th cat RR and getting their pic in a magazine ?

You can win a Sportive, in fact anyone who takes part in a Sportive is a weiner (german spelling of winner BTW) but the real winner is the person who wins, ie comes first.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    When collecting your medal - DO NOT try and be the generation that is inspired and bite the medal.

You will end up with a mouthful of shattered Taiwanese plastic. Yuk.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    amaferanga wrote:
    Only if you win it.

:lol:
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    You can "win" a sportive. A sportive is just a looser race on a bigger scale than your average 4/3 cat road race. The good thing is you don't need a licence or get dropped and if you do no-one will notice as there are so many of you. Not going too fast is also a boon over traditional "RoadRacing" or (RRing, as I like to call it), you can pootle along, have a chat and have a nice sandwich, you won't get that RRing. Also RRing is usually just round normal B roads and such whereas your sportive will go along really pretty roads with lots of good scenery and if hilly, breath-taking views. You chat to lotsa folks who are dead friendly as well on a sportive and if you win it you may even get in Cycling weekly, who ever saw someone winning a 4th cat RR and getting their pic in a magazine ?

You can win a Sportive, in fact anyone who takes part in a Sportive is a weiner (german spelling of winner BTW) but the real winner is the person who wins, ie comes first.

I hope this is sarcasm. What a crock of sh1te.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • You get a nice metal one that will most definitely damage your dentures at the Etape Caledonia...
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    Have done 4 sportives so far this year - got medal on 2, didn't on the other 2. However...........regarding the 'winning a sportive' argument, all the ones I have done have, on the following day, published online the rider times, which course they were on (tiny, little bit bigger, humungous etc) and the category achieved (Gold/Silver/Bronze/Completely Useless Loser etc) - and I bet that everyone who has ridden the sportive looks at their time and compares against others and says "I was the fifth fastedt" or something like that. I didn't of course bevause that would be childish and against the spirit of a sportive which is not a race.

(21st, 31st 52nd and last!)
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • I think sportives and racing are differentiated by coming first in one, and winning the other.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • okgo wrote:

If you cannot suss this as sarcasm then you are seriously thick. Honestly.....
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,949
    izza wrote:
    When collecting your medal - DO NOT try and be the generation that is inspired and bite the medal.

You will end up with a mouthful of shattered Taiwanese plastic. Yuk.

It's the photographers that ask the winners to do this apparently, someone was being interviewed last week and said that they get "quite aggressive about it". I suppose the athletes are carried away on the moment, otherwise they would probably be telling the phots to bollox.

The older I get, the better I was.

• okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    okgo wrote:

There are some very strange views of Sportives on this on this forum, who could tell if you were one of the odd ones.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • okgo wrote:
    okgo wrote:

There are some very strange views of Sportives on this on this forum, who could tell if you were one of the odd ones.

Sorry, came over all snappy there. Yeah, sportives and racing are 2 totally different beasts. Anyone who rides sportives and thinks they are similar to racing are seriously wrong. I do both and enjoy both immensely but there are massive distinctions. :|
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • amaferanga
    Why is there a dmclite-2.0 and a dmclite-3.0?
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    amaferanga wrote:

It's like Golden Cheetah v2 and v3. dcmlite-2.0 is being supported until dcmlite-3.0 is clear of bugs.

Personally I think dcmlite-2.0 was funnier than the later versions.
  • amaferanga
    GiantMike wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:

It's like Golden Cheetah v2 and v3. dcmlite-2.0 is being supported until dcmlite-3.0 is clear of bugs.

Was there ever a dmclite-1.0? When will dmclite-3.0 no longer be the development build?
  • amaferanga wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:

Was there ever a dmclite-1.0? When will dmclite-3.0 no longer be the development build?

There was a dmclite 1.0, but he war full of glitches and bad script errors. The 2.0 version was locked out of his account on home pc but auto logged at work. Mr R Chasey has PM'd me in a "Sophies Choice" way and I have deleted the 2.0 version. 3.0 is now fully live and will be the Guns of the Navarone when up to speed.

Still got it, eh ? :D:D:D :roll: