Anyone in Padstow?

mmuk
mmuk Posts: 398
edited August 2012 in The cake stop
I'm there on holiday end of September, and 'need' a club run at the weekend.

Tried googling 'padstow cycling clubs to no avail.

Any round there I can join for a morning?

MM

Comments

• roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    I know the area well, you're in for a treat. Take your climbing legs, it's a bit lumpy around there!
  • I was cycling in the area this week just gone. It's very hilly, but very enjoyable.

For serious hills take the B3276 along the coast towards Newquay. I also enjoyed cycling the B3274 out towards the village of Roche. After you cross the A39, there's a nice little climb (gentler gradient) with is pleasant from both sides to climb. Nice views too.

Wadebridge was nice, Newquay nice enough, avoid St. Austell.

I can recommend the Falcon Inn at St. Mawgan as a nice mid-ride drink/lunch stop.

I didn't use it, but I saw a couple of cyclists using the Padstow-Rock ferry as part of a ride which looked fun.

HTH
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • Quite often there myself though I don't know any clubs out that way.

As above, the coastal roads to Newquay are fun and often extend the run down into St Ives where I meet the better half. It will be quiet at the end of September so you'll be able to enjoy the roads.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Couple of routes I created for when i was on holiday down there. As previously said get your climbing legs on.

http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=xtatgxcsklphsqfj

http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=nbxjzkpzfqesfqzv
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Take the North Coast road from Portreath down through Hayle, St Ives and Zennor to St Just and back - it is one of the finest cycling roads in the UK IMO. Take your climbing legs - rarely get above 200m, but you often start from sea level and 20%+ gradients aren't uncommon.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I was down there recently as well, although my rides were from Rock outwards. It's fairly hilly, not as much fun as Exmoor with the hills mind but the gradients do get exciting at times, make sure you have some low gears. I advise to cycle near the coast as much as possible, the winds can make it tricky, but the views, the sea air and the steep gradients make a perfect package for cycling. Be wary though as some of the roads are definitely sub-par when it comes to they're surface.