Pat McQuaid / UCI

itisaboutthebike
itisaboutthebike Posts: 1,120
edited August 2012 in Pro race
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mcquaid ... rongs-skin

He's just trying to save the corrupt UCI's skin..................the UCI is a pile of shyte...........

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mcquaid-im-not-trying-to-save-lance-armstrongs-skin

He's just trying to save the corrupt UCI's skin..................the UCI is a pile of shyte...........

He's not trying to save the UCI, he's trying to save himself and / or Hein
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I imagine that McQuaid would probably like to disappear off the scene at some point, but I imagine the problem is that if he buggers off there's a danger that his replacement will dig up all the misdeeds that have been going on.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    iainf72 wrote:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mcquaid-im-not-trying-to-save-lance-armstrongs-skin

He's not trying to save the UCI, he's trying to save himself and / or Hein

Yep. Though as Inrng has pointed out it's not always easy to see where Pat stops and the UCI starts. http://inrng.com/2012/08/uci-vs-president-mcquaid/

I was particularly taken with his complaint that USADA had included a transcript of an interview he gave "unprepared, not knowing the questions" as part of their evidence. In spite of it being the only public statement from the UCI, and not corrected at any point, on the USPostal case.

Perhaps if Pat wasn't so keen to say the first thing that comes into his head that he thinks he could benefit from, regardless of whether he contradicted some early uttering, he wouldn't get into these situations?

He's a walking PR disaster. He needs surgery to remove the foot from his mouth, it's in there so often it's grown attached. Completely unfit to govern.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • It really is getting to the point where a change in leadership is a must. Question, what would be the process from removing Pat and getting a new President does he answer to a board, does he have a term of office?
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    McQuaid's presidency raises questions about the transparency and democracy of the UCI and its processes. He seems to unilaterally determine UCI policy, usually by public utterance.

No idea how to get rid of him, nor who might replace him.

Any takers to give us a rundown on possible replacements?
  • amd-sco
    amd-sco Posts: 94
    below are the likely inhouse replacements

Hee Wook Cho, Renato di Rocco, or Mr. Artur Lopes as president until the next election. By the way, they are also your executive board, which is supposed to be approving and agreeing to what McQuaid has been doing publicly. Maybe you want them removed as well. Lopes has been on the board since 2001, and apparently actively involved in anti-doping initiatives, and is from Portugal. di Rocco? He’s the Italian who just came out with some interesting comments about the GB track programme’s superiority due to more velodromes in England than Italy. What about Cho? He’s been a pedestrian to all of the challenges since 2005. The commonality of all three? They were all born in the 1940s. No joke. And no offense to them, but what is their relevance with current cycling issues.

Extracted from here -
    http://www.cyclismas.com/2012/08/how-do-we-fix-the-uci/
    ‘There is No Try. There is only Do. Or do not.’
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Thanks. Interesting reading.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    amd-sco wrote:
    di Rocco? He’s the Italian who just came out with some interesting comments about the GB track programme’s superiority due to more velodromes in England than Italy.
    Perhaps he needs to count again, or qualify what he means with 'more' (e.g. maybe he means more of 250 m length, or more indoor, or more wooden).
    There are about 55 velodromes in Italy (albeit only about 35 still in use) whereas in the UK there are only about 30 (with about 25 in use).
  • He's a walking PR disaster

Basically he's an inept tw@t...............if he were the CEO of a ltd company he'd be long gone by now (probably/hopefully..........).

I think one of the problems the teams have got if they go down the FIA type route and jettison the UCI is the thought that drug testing etc won't be handled by a kid gloved outfit like the UCI, and I suspect some teams would be scared if under the juresdiction by a wholly idependent body (like WADA or whoever). Lets face the biological passport has been a passport to dope. Throwing the book at a few small fish (Pellozotti excepted) doesn't smack of being very effectual.
  • iainf72

I think one of the problems the teams have got if they go down the FIA type route and jettison the UCI is the thought that drug testing etc won't be handled by a kid gloved outfit like the UCI, and I suspect some teams would be scared if under the juresdiction by a wholly idependent body (like WADA or whoever). Lets face the biological passport has been a passport to dope. Throwing the book at a few small fish (Pellozotti excepted) doesn't smack of being very effectual.

But you've just hit on a bigger problem. There is no independent body who could perform testing. WADA are a policy organisation.

The passport has made a difference - Folks like Ashenden have said the blood profiles have changed a lot from the wild west days. So it's not so OTT these days. The other thing to keep in mind is, imagine if had 10 of the best riders with dodgy passports and you wanted to open cases. Great. They all decide to fight them. Lets say the rider is prepared to spend €1m on his defence - The UCI would need to spend similar on lawyers, experts etc. 10m is a lot of spare change to find when you look at their budget.

I agree all sports should be tested by a single body which is unrelated to the sports governing body.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    iainf72 wrote:

I agree all sports should be tested by a single body which is unrelated to the sports governing body.

And unrelated to any national federations as well please.

I want to see the paramilitary wing of WADA out in force ;-)
  • http://www.cyclismas.com/2012/08/verbru ... o-cycling/

Yeah....just like that lawsuit they filed against Landis...............they've lost it completely.................
  • Prime586
    Prime586 Posts: 43
    http://www.cyclismas.com/2012/08/verbruggen-and-mcquaid-file-lawsuit-against-ny-times-for-damage-to-cycling/

Yeah....just like that lawsuit they filed against Landis...............they've lost it completely.................

I think it's posted in the 'humour' section of their site...
    Cyclismas | cycling satire and commentary » General News & News or Not...? » Verbruggen and McQuaid file lawsuit against NY Times for damage to cycling
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Anyone else see McQuaid hand out medals in the athletics stadium?!?!
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    wanna get angry at something - BC voted for him! we need to put pressure on our governing body as a start point
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    He was also at the women's mountain biking. I gave a big boo on our behalf when he was announced....
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    PBo wrote:
    He was also at the women's mountain biking. I gave a big boo on our behalf when he was announced....

Ha, were you near the podium when you were booing?
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Last King..........al we can do is dope.........sorry hope !
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630

Looking for the nearest gravy train to jump on. I can imagine him fitting in quite well at the IOC.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    I

Yup I nearly choked on my tea.

Ave 2012 calves
  • iainf72
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • iainf72
    DeadCalm wrote:

Heh

Oops, didn't go to page one
  • Who is this 'Lord ....' bloke that pitched up to hand flowers out at the Velodrome? There seems to be a parallel world where these blazers exist which runs cycling in this country :? Was he the guy that voted to re-elect McQuaid last time?
    'fool'