Helitape - Anodized Surface

jizzleb
jizzleb Posts: 135
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Just got hold of some helitape from eBay. Not the greatest stuff but seems ok on shiny surfaces.

However it doesn't really stick to anodized surfaces very well due to the unflat surface and wondered if anyone had tips or tricks (other than heating it) to get it to adhere properly, or of any other tape that people know definitely work.

Cheers
Canyon Nerve XC
Spec Allez
GT XCR SingleSpeed
GT Dyno

Comments

• YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    clean the area with isopropyl alchohol first. Should stick no problems.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it does depend on the finnish to some extent. some anodizing is done on a blasted finish and that well can be a pain.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Hang on. I just realised... what the hell are you trying to helitape, that's anodized anyway?
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Hang on. I just realised... what the hell are you trying to helitape, that's anodized anyway?
    a canyon nerve xc ?... alien skins protection patches stick ok
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • jizzleb
    jizzleb Posts: 135
    Yeah a Canyon, I'll try rubbing down with some rubbing alcohol and see how that goes.

Cheers
    Canyon Nerve XC
    Spec Allez
    GT XCR SingleSpeed
    GT Dyno
  • YeehaaMcgee
    you mean the whole frame is anodized?
    Oh I see.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Get it warm with a hairdryer apply to frame then give it another good go with the hairdryer as you smooth it down. Keep on rubbing it and warming it it will stick down smooth eventually, unfortunately it will never go invisible as it does on a gloss frame but you can get it to do its job.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap